Chinese-Forums

ChinaX starts again!

Luxi

People who missed Harvard University's ChinaX or who might want to revisit some of the sections, the start of a new iteration of ChinaX, this time as a self-paced study course, was announced yesterday.

"The second iteration of ChinaX begins today with the opening of ChinaX (Parts 1-5): China: Civilization and Empire, taught by Professor Bol. Enroll yourself by visiting the ChinaX Page on edX. We encourage you to view the Syllabus and Unit Outline (a breakdown of course components), and revisit topics that interest you most!  We present to you a reimagined course with completely new assessments and revamped videos, as well as new material (released in the coming months), including a unit on the Silk Roads with Professor Daniel WaughChinaX (Parts 6-10): China and the Modern World, taught by Professor Kirby, will open in November. Stay tuned!"

• Like 2

Same here, abcdefg. I put a lot of work the 1st time and don't want to keep on doing the same thing over and over again. Besides there are other good MOOCs on Chinese history, politics and culture running (the Pompeu Fabra University course is  very informative, original and well run), Not to mention Chinese language study

If I hear when anything new comes up, will post it here.

• Like 2

I do want to sign up for and complete a MOOC on something China-related, but now is not the time for me. I would want to take such a course in which there is a fair bit of work involved, so I feel I "got something out of it" and it seems these courses meet that criterion.

These ChinaX courses sound good, and I thank you for the notification, Luxi. I will keep my eye on these in the future when I have more time, could be a good vacation project for me in the future or something to simultaneously work on during a year of full-time language study.

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

I have just started watching the videos, but I am already learning loads and connecting dots that I had previously not connected.

I just figured it's time to take my "China Knowledge" to the next level, so actually this is the right time to take this course. Many thanks once again, Luxi, for sharing this. I enjoy listening to Profs. Kirby and Bol. I hope to sign up for China and the Modern World (Parts 6-10) as well and I fully intend to get quite a bit out of this course.

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

• 2 weeks later...

ChinaX is a great introductory course if you haven't studied Chinese history at tertiary level. I got plenty out of it, but I agree that there is no need to take the course again. It covers the entire history of China and therefore the material only provides you with a foundation to use in pursuing further study in your areas of interest. For me, I've been taking Edward Slingerland's fantastic MOOC on Warring States Chinese philosophy, which is also on the edX platform.