Chinese-Forums

Dentist?

Huina

I had braces when I was a kid and the dentist left a wire on the back of my teeth to keep them in place. The adhesive holding the wire on has come loose and I just want to get the whole thing removed (I have a retainer, my teeth probably won't shift). It's painful and I need to get it fixed pretty soon (or, new fad diet?). Anyone know a good dentist? I can probably fight the language barrier... would prefer not to go to a public hospital, but don't need a fancy expat dental expert either.

Or, anyone got good dentistry vocabulary to share?

The Peking University Stomalogical / Dental Hospital is good. It is a very Chinese experience though so you'll need to ring in advance to get a number/time then when you're there you must queue up to get another number which is your place in line. After that you wait to see the dentist. Hopefully you also asked to see a dentist in the right department... Otherwise you might have to go back and get another ticket. They'd probably be sold out by that point. They also have VIP tickets that have a reduced queue but we didn't work out how to get one - always sold out!

My girlfriend had a root canal there. I'd say for the cost and time it took ... It would have been worthwhile paying what would only be a bit more and going private. My friend had the same thing done in one day at a private clinic. We went back to this hospital 4 times to complete the process. I'm not sure all of it was necessary.

I would say the reason it's busy is because it has a (deserved I think) reputation of being very good. I think people travel to Beijing to go there. The branch we went to was in Wei Gong Cun.

• Like 2

@ChTTay, thanks for the tip on the stomatological hospital! Actually, there is a grungy looking stomatological near my home but I prefer not to have the Chinese hospital experience! Taking all the tickets while speaking garbled chinese made worse by a sore mouth...

@Roddy Arrail has a clinic right near where I work!! Woohoo! I sent them a wechat and they replied right away. Tomorrow!!

@Roddy Arrail did a great job. They called and responded politely, the dentist herself spoke good english, and she did very good work the same as any dentist in the USA. It was nice and clean and my insurance got a 10% discount (I'll send my fapiao back and get the rest reimbursed). And, now the government can't remotely control my mind anymore. Two birds, one delta-shaped stone...(MKUltra, anyone?)

It was expensive, outrageous for China but less than in the USA. 260RMB to register, and then a bunch more money to do the wire/resin removal. Uh, it cost half of what it cost when I had to get the same thing done in the USA, if that makes a difference. But you get what you pay for, and I'm very satisfied with the job she did. 

PS. Seriously, I don't actually believe in aliens or government conspiracy theories.

Would have loved to see the dentists face...."so, what's the problem.... a wire... glued to your tooth.... my god, who did that to you.... a DENTIST!?!?!" You should have told them your parents used to use it to tether you to the desk during high school. It' d catch on in China.

Glad you got it sorted nice and easy. Stuff like that I think it's worth paying the extra if you can afford it - going to the dentist ain't fun at the best of times...

@ChTTAY it was RMB860 total. They had to bill with the code for sealing a tooth.because filing off the $300 shoddy handiwork of a weird orthodontist (removing the receiver for the mind control device) wasn't a code they had on hand.

@Shelley It's not my place to say, I don't want them to come and get me and put implants in neck just like Scully in the X-Files, which by the way was totally true, accurate, and believable, because I want to believe.

(disclaimer again, I do not really believe this stuff, it is a running joke, I do not want anyone to come across this and think that I actually have a paranoid obsession with the illuminati alien reptilian conspiracy)