Chinese-Forums

Renew (UK) passport in Beijing - timing issue

ChTTay

Hi everyone,

I'm having a passport dilemma. My current passport expired September 27th 2016. I want to renew it in China and this doesn't seem that complicated.

The process takes 4 weeks from the time that the UK passport place receives the application. Perhaps 5-6 weeks with postage etc. Then on top of that, I'd have to go the PSB and get my residence permit put in the new passport (not sure how long that will be).

Anyway, I was going to apply now to renew my passport. However, it occurred to me that if I do it now... It's unlikely I'll have my passport back before the February holiday. Once I've applied for a new passport I can't travel on the old one.

Do you think I'm safe to travel first then apply afterwards? I would be back in Beijing on Feb 17th so could apply straight away. Worst case I'd have the new passport, complete with residence permit, in my hand two months later.

My current residence permit is due to expire towards the end of August 2016.

Any problems with this? Thoughts?

It seems like this is ok... But I'm not sure.

I am no visa expert, but if it expires Sept 2016 is there a problem? If however you mean it has already expired and you meant 2015 instead of 2016 as you wrote then I would not know what you should do.

expired September 27th 2016

Just wanted to make sure you had got the facts straight for any one else who may want to help.

If you have any plans to be in the UK before your passport expires next September, I would suggest you look into renewing your passport when you are back, using either the fast track or the premium service.

I actually had no choice in the matter, since I travel so much that there is no way I can be without my passport for up to 6 weeks, and the fast track and premium services are not available for overseas applications. I renewed my passport in Glasgow (I am from Edinburgh originally), but there are several offices in the UK where you can go to renew in person. You make an appointment by telephone and then turn up on the day. I opted for the fast track service, so I dropped off the application at 10.30 a.m and got the new passport at 2.30 p.m the same day (it cost around GBP 140). There is also a slightly cheaper premium service, where you go in person, but they send your new passport to a UK address for you.  

If the rule is six months, it's six months. They might point it out to you, but I can't see they're not going to let you in. Plus, in the unlikely event you do get refused entry, it's a great story to tell on here. So it's a win-win situation really. 

As you kind people have tried to help me already ... one more thing...

I have my current residence permit which is due to expire in August 2016. Across from that there is a page with two stamps on it.

For the rest of my passport, I only have one page left. It's the page opposite my photo I.D page. It doesn't say it's reserved for anything.

If I went to, say, Vietnam and got a full page visa on that one spare page, upon re-entry into China they would just need to stamp the page across from my passport again?

:(:help

• 2 weeks later...