Chinese-Forums

汉字大比拼 handwriting critique

edelweis

I've watched it several years running and have posted a thread here about it, though I cannot find it just now. Enjoy that competition a lot.

--------------------

Edited to add: Here's the previous discussion -- http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/41683-chinese-spelling-bee/

Haha, Xuexiansheng. They do need some "charisma coaching."

Are they supposed to be the best in the nation?

Hoffman, not every episode. Some of the shows are better/tougher than others. The quarterfinals and beyond seem to show a high level of skill. One of the features in those episodes is to give networked tablet computers to a gallery of about a hundred well-educated adult audience members. They attempt to answer the questions at the same time as the contestants. 

Some of the more difficult words are only written correctly by 10 or 15 percent of that audience group. I sometimes follow along with them at home on my own tablet just for fun, and get dropped in the dirt way earlier, on much easier words.      

• Like 1

abcdefg How do you follow on your own tablet?

I try to write the same word they are trying to write. (In a handwriting window on Pleco.) If I guess the wrong word, then I do the right one as soon as it is announced by the judges. (plenty of homophones.)

I cannot sustain their pace, so I only do some of them; usually the ones which I think will be easiest. (I would never stand a chance in a real live contest like that.)

Ah yes good old Pleco, hadn't thought of that, i was wondering what you used. I found the show I watched absolutely fascinating, I couldn't understand most of what was being said, but I could get the gist of things, the pep talk before by the students, the comments on their writing and the mothers consoling the kids when they lose.

I will watch more and I will also try to write some if I recognise what they say. Do they say the character then give an example of it in sentence? I think I worked that out.

Do they say the character then give an example of it in sentence? I think I worked that out.

Yes. The teacher giving the word tries to make it clear; to disambiguate it as much as possible. The student can ask a question if he or she doesn't understand.

The parents get really involved behind the scenes. They root for the kids. It becomes sort of a family drama. Often it turns out that Mom or Dad has spent hundreds and hundreds of hours coaching the child.  Very moving.

Just tried to play a video, the first time it remained black and firefox said it was waiting for hm.baidu.

I stopped the page download and refreshed the page. The second time it passed (first it says 加载中 for a few seconds then the video starts).

I'm not in Hebei but not in China either...

Try these links:

http://tingxie.cntv.cn/2015/index.shtml

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNbxTGPbc7I

I found these links on an older thread and tested them several months ago. (I'm not currently in China, and cannot see how well they work from there today.)

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/41683-chinese-spelling-bee/