Chinese-Forums

Stickk.com referees for learning Chinese

大块头

Angelina, I see you posting on other threads and you often offer good help and interesting insights. Equally you clearly clever, good at Chinese and very hardworking and this is all to be respected. 

Sometimes however, in my opinion you are seemingly antagonistic for the sake of it.

Im glad you like frankness. So to be frank, raising the issue of the KKK and the abolitionist movement in comparison to (speaking out on) this service is to trivialise. Additionally you are seemingly intentionally failing to acknowledge this application has various routes of donation that are clearly stated ie donating to a charity. For this reason it seems to me you are being antagonistic rather than making a good point.

• Like 1

@大块头

I'm was thinking about ID rather than money, but anyway.

Anki counts are measurable, but that's often passive learning. In order to reach HSK6, do you intend to do some writing too? lang8 or something else?

maybe it would be feasible to count written character, or sentences, or new words correctly used in a sentence?

Regarding the selection of a referee, I can understand why you're coming here to find someone with similar interests.

But perhaps someone you know might be easier to find, even if they know nothing about Chinese.

Isn't that the advantage of having easily measurable goals?

@edelweis

Yep! Expanding my passive vocabulary is just one part of a study plan that includes listening, reading, writing, and speaking practice. I am using stickK for the vocabulary part because in the past I've struggled to review my Anki cards consistently and (like you said) it is a goal where progress is very easily measured.

I could probably find a friend or relative to be my referee, but I'd prefer to find a group of people with similar interests and goals. :-)

Hmmm you've changed the recipient of stakes to a nondescript "charity" :mrgreen:

were you feeling a little exposed? (I don't recall exactly what it was before...)

edit: oooh, these are in the website's anti-charity list:

• The Arsenal Fan Club
  • The Chelsea Fan Club
  • The Liverpool Fan Club
  • The Manchester United Fan Club

:D

All though I am not interested in stickK, I would be interested to know how it works out for you. It would be good if you updated with progress reports. I don't object to you wanting to do HSK6 and improve your chinese, I just don't understand the need for something like stickK.

I have to admit I study for pleasure and time scales and exam results are not high on my list, but the times I have taken courses and exams I still didn't feel the need for a stick. This is probably a very personal thing and depends on what sort of person you are, I suppose I feel I can be very disciplined when I want to be.

I hope it goes well, and you find success.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

One of my goals for this year is to spend 25 minutes each day transcribing Chinese, but I'm having trouble maintaining the habit. If someone here is willing to be my referee and keep me honest (2 minutes per week time commitment), I'll put $25 a week at stake. If I fail to meet my goal then the money will go to charity.

• 2 years later...

My longtime stickK referee has gone MIA on me.

I'd like to draw more. Your job will be to spend two minutes every week to confirm that I've posted 6 drawings to social media. If I don't meet that goal then the money I've put up as stakes gets automatically donated to charity.

In return I'm willing to be your stickK referee or an accountability partner in a similarly structured commitment device. Your goal should be clearly defined, require easily verifiable proof, and have stakes of some sort.

I might join you on this. I tried something similar once, but it just worsened my issue as I didn't mind using "donating to a charity" as an excuse to procrastinate. Maybe in the future I should pick a charity that goes against everything I believe in. So that by not working on myself I'm actively/monetarily contributing to the degradation of our society.

Do African warlords have charities? How about child traffickers? (I ask half-jokingly)

52 minutes ago, Weyland said:

it just worsened my issue as I didn't mind using "donating to a charity" as an excuse to procrastinate

They allow you to send your stakes to "anti-charities" if you fail, although I don't use that option. I set the charity donation high enough so that it truly stings if I fail. For me this threshold is about the price of a nice steak dinner.

Have I missed out on a couple of nice steak dinners? Yes. Has it been worth it? Absolutely. I finally deadlifted 405 lb a couple months ago after years of trying to maintain a regular lifting habit because I set up a stickK commitment for it.

• Like 1

That list is pretty vanilla. I was thinking of something more immediate and less "lobbying-like". Also, maybe it's the Trump presidency but I have become almost completely apathetic towards US partisan politics.

I'll have to rack my brain a bit...