Chinese-Forums

Aristophanes狸猫

Tianjin42

Have any of you heard of Taiwanese female MC called Aristophanes狸猫?

She features on Grimes new album, rapping in Mandarin. 

More info on her here: http://www.thefader.com/2015/07/29/meet-aristophanes-grimes

The tracks on the page above sound quite interesting (some fairly dirty backing tracks and nice delivery). I was always looking for challenging, subversive stuff in the mainland but didn't find much to my liking. I think having a few bands and artists that you really enjoy listening to can be a good part of the arsenal in learning the language (without going into the debate on the value of listening to music). I felt that there was only really an embryonic alternative music scene (sorry, I'm just not a massive Carsick Cars fan) and actually had difficulty when explaining to some Chinese friends that beyond the family-friendly corporate endorsement fodder acts there was an alternative scene. I took a few members of my office to see a Grimes gig when she played Beijing. At the start of the night they were very apprehensive and actually were really uncertain (it was the first gig for many) but it turned out to be a great gig and everyone loved it (they wanted to go to the after-gig party). 

It will be hard to to pick up the lyrics but on the track on Grimes' album there seems to be some pretty nasty lyrics, which is positive. Not quite my thing (still looking for a Chinese Radiohead, Flaming Lips or Nick Cave) but definitely an interesting artist. 

Thought I would put this out there and any of you in Taiwan might even get a long to a gig if you like it. 

• Like 1