Chinese-Forums

problems with 为

dtcamero

hi, so this is my first time starting a topic, please be gentle.

I tried searching the forum but couldn't find a satisfactory answer for this question...

I'm having real difficulty distinguishing when 为 should be 2nd or 4th tone. the pleco definitions i guess makes sense, but are still really ambiguous...and I still get the tone wrong about a third of the time I try to read it.

can anyone explain to me a simple way to understand the difference between the two words?

thanks very much!

Can you find an example where you might have some initial confusion?  It might be easier to give pointers if you can give a specific example.

I myself sometimes have difficulty determining which meaning is meant without reading ahead, or when I am unfamiliar with an idiom.  An example might be the phrase 为人, which usually is read with the second tone, but might be read in the fourth tone with a different meaning.  If what follows is a stative verb, I assume it is the second tone and gives the meaning "conduct oneself to be" or "serve as a person who is...."  If what follows is an active verb, then I assume the meaning is "serving other people" or "on behalf of others."

Usually, 4th tone means "for" and 2nd tone means "be" or "become."

Yes, and I would add that it may be helpful to think of the 2nd tone 为 as "as"

安全为本 (motto) safety as fundamental

做为老师  As a teacher....

看他为朋友 consider him as a friend

Perhaps not the best examples,and may contain errors, but this helps me use the right tones most of the time.

Fourth Tone: when it means "For (someone/some purpose)" , “为了”

Second Tone: when it means "As (a teacher/student/cop)", 作为; or when it mean "Become (a basketball player)" 成为

For some particular meaning, you should just remember it, like "为什么/why" (4th tone)

The main exception to the meaning rule is 因为, which every dictionary will tell you should be [yīnwèi] (as it logically would be), but the majority of native speakers actually pronounce as [yīnwéi].

Apart from that, it's all fairly logical as to whether it's [wéi] or [wèi]. However, it's good practice to learn words as complete units. Don't think of e.g. 认为 as 认 [rèn] "recognize" + 为 [wéi/wèi] "do/act/be/for/etc."; instead, think of it as 认为 [rènwéi] "to think/consider".

ok, thanks for the help.

i don't have good examples yet for ambiguous usage, just reading simple example sentences is confusing enough but i guess you get used to it with lots of practical exposure.

cheers,