Chinese-Forums

Outlier Semantic Components Posters + Giveaway

OneEye

Yes please!  I'm assuming I can take this down to my local printer and get it printed out A1 size and hang it on my wall?  Thats the idea right?

Also, should I be saying 肉字旁 when talking about characters like 脸?  I mean, it makes sense, but I'd always thought it was 月字旁.

I'd be tempted to go for the traditional, but I think the simplified would probably be more useful for me.

• Like 1

Yes please - simplified.

I backed the dictionary on kick starter but didn't go for the poster. Happy to take a look then post a review - it looks interesting. There are a few channels I can post this as well.

• Like 2

Oh my goodness. I would like to say I'd try to incorporate this into lessons with my students but the most likely thing is that I would nerd out over it with a couple of friends I know are similarly nerdy. I suspect that this thread will fill up fast so I want to request the traditional version if possible!

Question: the f, m, w part... What is the "m" short for?

• Like 1

My students' classes are finished for the semester, so now I've plenty of time to be the student myself!!  :lol:

I wouldn't mind receiving a copy of your poster in traditional characters, towards which my study preference has gradually drifted over the past year due to what I feel is my greater likelihood of ending up in a traditional characters working environment in the not so distant future (Chinese communities in the USA, or in Taiwan).

• Like 1

A periodic table of the components!

I didn't back the kickstarter campaign, and have been critical of some of the hype, but I will probably buy the dictionary when Pleco offers it. So I'll understand if I don't make the shortlist. Simplified, please.

• Like 1

Put me down for a simplified version please.

I would be happy to do a review on the forums and/or on my blog here on the forums. I have also recently started writing reviews for Living the Language's website/blog so I could review it there too.

I am a big fan of the Outlier method and would find this poster very useful.

• Like 1

We'll announce the lucky 5 on Monday morning (Tokyo time).

To answer a few questions:

Yes please!  I'm assuming I can take this down to my local printer and get it printed out A1 size and hang it on my wall?  Thats the idea right?

Yes, you can print it out A1 size. 

Also, should I be saying 肉字旁 when talking about characters like 脸?  I mean, it makes sense, but I'd always thought it was 月字旁.

In China they say 月字旁 for both, but in Taiwan they say 肉字旁 or 月字旁, depending on which one it is.

Question: the f, m, w part... What is the "m" short for?

'f' is form, 'm' is meaning when used as a component in another character, 'w' is meaning when used as a word or in a word.

Will the posters be sent to backers automatically?

Yes, if you backed the poster during the Kickstarter campaign you'll get it automatically, of course.