Chinese-Forums

Netflix Hong Kong

geraldc

Netflix Hong Kong can be accessed through free VPN apps/plugins such as Hola (currrently trying it in London), naturally you already need a Netflix account in your home country. Haven't seen any any HK shows on the list so far, but the Cantonese/English language selection option works on a few of the films. I've just started watchin Alvin and Chipmunks 3, Shipwrecked in Cantonese and am enjoying it so far.  

• Like 1

As far as I can tell, that Alvin and the chipmunks movie is the only movie with Cantonese audio. Quite a few other movies have Mandarin audio, and none of the films have Cantonese subtitles even though many of the local versions of those films on DVD do (almost all have standard traditional chinese subs though).

And there does not appear to be any Hong Kong or Chinese made content at all. Mostly western and Japanese films and shows.

The original Chipmunks movie, and the Squeakquel have Cantonese tracks on HK Netflix. I'm a big fan of the franchise. It's going to be films that were redubbed for the HK market and released at the cinema (so kids films).

Grown up films only need Chinese subtitles (you'd never get Cantonese subtitles anyway).

• 1 month later...

"Grown up films only need Chinese subtitles (you'd never get Cantonese subtitles anyway)."

Actually quite a few western movies have cantonese subs. I watched Juno recently on HBO and it had Cantonese subs, the Kick-Ass DVD too I think. And I just watched Deadpool in the cinema and it had Cantonese subs. I just hope Netflix eventually adds this option for films with local subs. Dialogue just translates better, especially humor, when you use local slang and vocabulary.

• Like 1