Chinese-Forums

CSC 2016 Applications

Chris Two Times

I.carranza,

Just my two cents, but I would say apply for the scholarship as an undergraduate candidate.

I'd flip it around: it's easy to say, "maybe I shouldn't commit to a 4 or 5 year program, because I may not like it", but what about the opposite? What if you do like it, but you only give yourself one year...and then back to the call center?

Yeah, I'd say apply for the undergraduate program to give yourself 4 or 5 years. Take that chance...no more call center, a fantastic opportunity to earn a free college degree, five years to get to a solid level of Chinese, a chance to get to know another country and culture, perhaps fall in love, money in the pocket from the scholarship, and and and!

I mean, I would rather have something and abandon it, rather than being empty-handed but really wishing I had it: worst case scenario--you get the scholarship and then after a couple of years, you decide you don't want to do it anymore. You can simply walk away.

If you don't get the undergraduate scholarship this year, THEN apply for the one or two-year non-degree language program scholarship next year.

Just my two yuan.

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

Man, thank you so much for your response!!! I truly appreciate it and yes I will go for the undergraduate definitely, you are totally right! Once again thanks for your response.
  • Like 1

Hi,

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm trying to choose an undergraduate degree. I found this programs offered by Sichuan University, could someone please explain the difference to me?

• *Chinese Language
    • 4years
    • Chinese
    • Sep
    • 4-30
    • *Chinese Language and Literature
    • 4years
    • Chinese
    • Sep
    • 4-30
    • *Chinese Language and Literature Base
    • 4years
    • Chinese
    • Sep
    • 4-30

Regards,

Isaac

• New Members

I will apply as a general scholar and I would be very happy to receive 3,000/month as a regular stipend. My day-to-day living means wouldn't be extravagant and I find that 3,000/month to be more than adequate and quite generous.

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

Hello Chris (and everyone else)

I'm new here and boy am I glad I've found this forum. I haven't found any other place on the net that's focused specifically on the CSC scholarships. :D

That said I do have one quick question I've not been able to get a satisfying response to and you've partially answered it (which is what I've quoted).

I'll be going for the undergraduate bilateral scholarship (2016-2017) and according to the program's site a monthly stipend of CNY 2500 is provided. I am aware that's enough to cover my needs but would it be enough for just that? Covering my most basic needs?

It comes down to about 80 CNY a day, right? And from what I've gathered on other sites one can live covering their most basic of needs (transportation/food) with about CNY 40 (max). Is that entirely true? I've also seen on other sites (expat sites I must admit) where some claim 150+ CNY is what they need per day (without taking into account rent or utilities). So I'm a little stumped. >.<

Would I be able to, say, pay for a monthly cellphone plan (something which most might not consider a necessity :P) along with all my other needs(food/transportation/clothing/etc) with 2500?

Thanks in advance for any help, from anyone not just exclusively Chris :)

Hello!

I can send my application to 3 different places. The university, the embassy in my home country and the EU Window embassy.

My question would be, is it ok to do 3 separate accounts on the CSC website with the same details but different agency number?

Are there any negative consequences of a multiple application?

Thank you!

Hello Chris again (or anyone who can answer my questions),

As a refresher, I'm applying for the 2016 Chinese Scholarship (CSC) as a non-degree Chinese student for a 2-year scholarship (ideally) for The Ocean University of China (OUC) in Qingdao, Shandong this year.

I was just wondering (I apologize if any of these questions have been raised in this forum already but I'm tight on time and tremendously irritated at the conflicting and outdated info I find on the Canadian China embassy websites):

1) Will I need to submit an Admission Letter from OUC in my scholarship application package (since I'm a current non-degree Chinese language student at OUC)?

2) I won't need to submit a Foreigner Physical Examination Form unless I receive the scholarship, correct? I've done the foreigners' physical exam in Qingdao in March 2015 for my Chinese language studies. Would I have to do it again if I receive the scholarship?

3) Do I need to write a study plan if I'm applying as a non-degree language student? If so, is it 500 words? I think you wrote here that I don't need to as a non-degree student, but in the 2015 application instructions (the "most up to date" info I can find), it says "A Study Plan or Research Proposal in Chinese or English. (A minimum of 200 words for undergraduates, 500 words for non-degree students, and 800 words for postgraduates.)"  Source: http://www.eduembca.org/publish/portal55/tab3729/info114611.htm

Thanks so much in advance and I apologize in advance for the numerous questions. I'm super stressed right now as I can't find answers from the Vancouver or Canadian embassies. And they haven't replied to my emails!

Elaine

Also, if I need to submit a study plan as a non-degree language student, what should I write? I found these suggested topics in an old CSC thread from 2007 and it overwhelms me O_O:

• The reasons for which you want to study under such scholarship.
• Your academic, work and personal interests.
• Your work experience, and its relevance for what you want to accomplish.

• The Particular objectives that you wish to accomplish

• What are you expecting of the program
• The benefits of the scholarship in it's hole that you would obtain in case you where accepted.
• Other Information that you may consider relevant or distinctive and that presents you as an excellent candidate to obtain the scholarship.
• Make sure your interests and abilities are alike to those of the university and the program itself.
• Be brief and to the point, and try to explain in the simplest way the motives that are encouraging you to part of one of the chosen universities.
• Any advantage that can put you above the others that are interested in the scholarship.
• Any personal situations that may be prudent to mention.

@Ling_ling24: Similar boat in terms of stress! I've been unable to contact either the DC or the NYC consular offices, and the schools in China seem to be only dimly aware of the requirements to apply. Can't help you much on the questions, but I called Xiamen Daxue and they were unaware that a pre-admissions letter could be written. Calling Zhe Da also proved unhelpful. A confusing process, to say the least. 

As to the study plan, it seems like it will be less important than if you were applying for a PhD/MA program. I've no experience with the CSC process so I can't vouch for this, but I intended on writing that I had x interests relating to Chinese proven by my y years studying Chinese and intended to achieve mastery in order to pursue z career. Hopefully, something interesting about myself as an applicant will come out (for example, if you hope to eventually pursue a PhD in Philosophy or Comparative Lit, maybe they would go "Aha! This is rare!"; on the other hand, you could build up your resume (assuming you have one) so they go "Aha! This student will definitely be successful!"). 

@American applicants: Does anybody know where to send the finished application? I found a form (I think on the DC Consulate website) that says: 

----For American students, the dispatching authorities mentioned above are as follows:

Chinese Embassy in Washington DC, and Chinese Consulate-General in New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Huston;

American Embassy in China;

Chinese Higher Education Institutions (Chinese HEIs); and

Regional education departments.

Yet I've not had luck contacting any of the consulates. 

• Like 1

@Alex: Thanks so much for answering my questions. :) Navigating Chinese-related matters can be such a pain, isn't it? I've used your suggestions for things to write in my study plan already. 

By the way, what do you use to call the China universities? I'm in China right now but I can't seem to use the Gmail call feature to call the Vancouver embassy. Are there any free calling services you use or can think of? I really need more clarification on some things with my local embassy.

I think the embassy websites need to do a better job of updating their website design (which is very 90s) and instructions. We're wasting so much precious time trying to decipher the vague and outdated instructions alone that it leaves us little energy to actually do what they want us to do. Ugh!!!

@Ling: I'm afraid I used my Chinese friend's cellphone - they had international minutes saved up (the cost for my phone: $20, then $2 per minute! Ridiculous!). I can ask them what service they use as it was rather cheap ($8 was 800 minutes). If you can manage to find their WeChat, that would also work for phone calls. Skype as well. But for calling landlines, I'm not so sure about free services.

Yeah, definitely need to update. It's been a real pain in the neck. I'm about to give up and send the applications directly to the different schools, but I'm not sure how that works either. For example, Zhe Da has their own application. So would we do the CSC application + material, and the Zhe Da application? Might need to call again!

• Like 1

Hello Alex,

I will try to get a friend from Vancouver to help me call them and possibly put me on speakers to talk to them. And I'm gonna contact the scholarship representative at Qingdao's OUC (the university I hope to get the scholarship to) and ask again if he knows anything about the CSC applications (last time, he said he didn't).

I'm mailing my application package to the Canadian China embassy (in Ottawa), not to  the university so I'm afraid I can't help you there about your application to Zhe Da. If in doubt, call (if you can!). You will get direct answers that way, although it can be such a pain. >.<

Good luck to you (and the rest of the 2016 CSC applicants)! I feel that CSC is purposely making things tough for its applicants. I wonder how many applicants give up applying due to all the confusing instructions alone.

• Like 1

• New Members

Hi :)

My name is Jenny and this year I'm going to apply for CSC scholarship with EU Window for Master Degree. At the university I am styding in, our Chinese language teacher (Mr Zhang) is working in Chinese Embassy in Belgium at the same time (Embassy in Belgum = Mission of P. R. China to the EU) and he is one of responsible person for giving scholarships.  I am writing to you with some tips, because I see that a lot of people has many problems.

From this year, the budget of EU Window program is much lower than it was in the past. They are planning to give scholarship for about 120 students from European Union. Whats more, about 75 places has been already taken. For example our school students who are going to graduate this June (about 45 students) all of them has applied for CSC Scholaship. And because our teacher (Mr Zhang) is working in Mission of P. R. China to the EU, all of us has been already informed, that our application has been successful. Another people (as Mr Zhang says) have same 关系 that we have. So its about 45 free slots and Mr Zhang told us that every year there are about 1000 students from European Union who want to apply for scholarship. So about 1000 people for 45 places. 

Seems bad? Not realy. 

From this year, the budget of Chinese Embassies in every country has increased and for instance Chinese Embassy in Germany (the only example I know) can send about 150 students and they send about 70 people last year !

So the tip for you is not to apply for EU Window (sorry, I know that I am the one who has already took a place) but to apply through Embassy in your country. Or through University directly.

The 2nd tip is not to create many accounts at csc website, because every single csc application(who passed Embassy) is being sending to Chinese Scholarship Council and when they get the same person from 3 institutions (1.EU Window, 2.Embassie 3. University) they refuse to give a scholarship to that person because 4 years ago it was a girl from Canada (Mr Zhang told us) who took scholarship from Embassie and from University at the same time. So to avoid situation like this, since 2012 they refuse to give any scholarship to person like this.

If you have any question, I will try to respond and if I dont know the answear I can ask Mr Zhang

祝好!

• New Members

Hi guys!

My name is Jenny and I am studying Chinese language in Belgium. This year I am going to apply for CSC scholarship for master degree. I have few informations and tips for you!

I have my chinese lessons with Mr Zhang. He is working in Mission of P. R China to the European Union at the same time so I have many informations about EU Window program. Probably this year the budget of Mission of P. R China to the European Union is much lower that in last years. And thats why this year EU Window is going to give about 120 scholarships. But I have bad informations for you!  About 75 people has been already successful with aplication: 45 students from my university are going to China with CSC Scholarship (thanks to Mr Zhang 关系)and some another 30 people. So there are about 45 free places for you. And every year about 1000 students are applicate through EU Window, so there are 1000 people for 45 places. Bad information? Not really !

From this year every chinese embassy has got bigger budget for scholarship and for example in Germany they have abut 120 places (it was 70 places last year). Thats the only example that I know, but every single embassie has bigger budget for scholarships. So if I were you (but I have already got scholarship, sry guys!) I would apply through embassie in your home country.

Another information is about creating some than 1 account at CSC web. It is forbiden! 4 years ago it was a girl from UK, who has got scholarship from embassie and from EU Window. When you pass embassie or EU window, your application is being sent to chinese scholarship council. And what I know is that when they have got more than 1 application, they refuse to give scholarship to person like this. And last year a friend of my didnt get a scholarship because of that. So dont make more than 1 application at CSC. Choose between EU Window/Embassie in your country/University you want to study in. 

If you have any question I will try to answear and if I dont know the answear I will ask my teacher!

Peace!

Hi guys!
My name is Jenny and I am studying Chinese language in Belgium. This year I am going to apply for CSC scholarship for master degree. I have few informations and tips for you!
I have my chinese lessons with Mr Zhang. He is working in Mission of P. R China to the European Union at the same time so I have many informations about EU Window program. Probably this year the budget of Mission of P. R China to the European Union is much lower that in last years. And thats why this year EU Window is going to give about 120 scholarships. But I have bad informations for you!  About 75 people has been already successful with aplication: 45 students from my university are going to China with CSC Scholarship (thanks to Mr Zhang 关系)and some another 30 people. So there are about 45 free places for you. And every year about 1000 students are applicate through EU Window, so there are 1000 people for 45 places. Bad information? Not really !
From this year every chinese embassy has got bigger budget for scholarship and for example in Germany they have abut 120 places (it was 70 places last year). Thats the only example that I know, but every single embassie has bigger budget for scholarships. So if I were you (but I have already got scholarship, sry guys!) I would apply through embassie in your home country.

Another information is about creating some than 1 account at CSC web. It is forbiden! 4 years ago it was a girl from UK, who has got scholarship from embassie and from EU Window. When you pass embassie or EU window, your application is being sent to chinese scholarship council. And what I know is that when they have got more than 1 application, they refuse to give scholarship to person like this. And last year a friend of my didnt get a scholarship because of that. So dont make more than 1 application at CSC. Choose between EU Window/Embassie in your country/University you want to study in.
If you have any question I will try to answear and if I dont know the answear I will ask my teacher!
Peace!

Jenny91,

That is interesting information. Can you somehow confirm it with some further evidence?

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times