Chinese-Forums

CSC 2016 Applications

Chris Two Times

• New Members

Hello, guys!

I`m from Ukraine.

I`ve already applied and gained CSC 2013 but didn`t move to China to study.

The question is whether I can apply once more in this year?

I`m looking forward to receiving your reply!

Hello,

I had a question regarding the application. It says on the site that the Foreigner Physical Examination Form is only valid for 6 months. I got that filled out in January. Should I go back to my doctor and ask him to fill it out again? How long does the for need to be "valid" for? Just for the application due in March or also while I am in China? 

Also do I need just the form or do I need the actual test results as well?

Thanks!

• Like 1

hello everyone,

I have a question, if my scholarship application fails, can I continue and apply by myself directly to the university ? I'm a little tight on my budget, so I want to try first the csc scholarship and see what happen, even if here in Algeria the embassy didn't seem to have more information about the whole process...

@anat_xy: I'm in the same situation as you. In 2014, I have been accepted to study at Beihang University, but as I was going on exchange with my school I decided to turn down the offer. On laihua, it asks if you have already applied for the scholarship. If you say yes, it then asks you to input the period.... I have contacted Mr Chen and he confirmed that I could re-apply this year as the CSC only keeps your file for one year. Therefore, I'm just going to answer 'no' to the previous question on the application form. Hope it helped!

• Like 1

Hello everyone, 

I am applying for a CSC scolarship. I have a few questions:

- Do you have to be a student to apply for CSC? I graduated last year and I was wondering if I was still eligible for a scolarship. The csc website doesn't say anything about that but I still want to make sure that I can apply. 

- If my application succeeds and I am abroad, can I send someone to get the documents in my place at my country's embassy?

Also, do we have information about the success rate of the application process ? do we know how many people apply each year and how many ppl get the scolarship ? 

Mr. Wat,

You can do that and I intend to do it as well: I am going to apply for the CSC scholarship and if I get accepted, well, good on me. If I get rejected, then I will just freely apply directly to a university and pay out of pocket. The only thing is, I have to be mindful when the application deadline is in the Spring. Most of the programs I have looked at have a June direct application deadline, but some may be earlier (and some may be later).

Even if I get rejected for the scholarship, I will look at this as positively as I can. That would stink if I got rejected for the scholarship and had to pay out of pocket, but at least that would free up more possibilities for me--I could then apply to the ones who have told me they don't accept scholarships for language students, i.e., BNU and BLCU.

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

• Like 1

Well, if I don't get the Chinese Government Scholarship perhaps my Plan B shall be to apply for a Beijing Government Scholarship. It clearly states that one could use it for language studies for one year as long as one is less than 60 years old (!). It offers 10,000 RMB, which I would naturally and gladly take over 0 RMB.

http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/scholarshipdetailen.aspx?cid=105&id=285

A list of other Chinese Local Government Scholarships:

http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/scholarshiplisten.aspx?cid=105

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

Excellent Chris, thank you for your reply =)

I found two great universities, Ocean University Of Qingdao and Sichuan University, the first one willl suit me really good, I don't know if I can apply through csc and if it fails apply by my own directly with them, as you said, I'll be limited with time... 

Does anybody know about applying for a CSC scholarship twice? I'd like to gain fluency (as I'm sure many of us do) sufficient to pursue a future PhD that presupposes academic level reading fluency (in the States), so I was thinking an MA program would maximize the amount of time on the ground. I've lately begun to fear that I won't actually be capable of pursuing an MA in Chinese given most people seemingly only getting 1 year of "pre MA" funding for language study. Has anybody heard of somebody doing a 1 or 2 year language degree, then reapplying for the CSC in order to do a different degree? I asked one of the schools and they weren't sure. 

@Mr. Wat: While I've never been to Qingdao, I spent 2 and a half months at Sichuan Daxue. Beautiful campus (I lived in the 留学生宿舍), and I loved my teachers. I also loved Chengdu. You wouldn't be going wrong by going there!

• Like 1

Alex,

Look into that: I believe it is possible to receive future CSC scholarships, provided they are for different programs. I, as a non-major language student applicant, don't think I can rock up in a couple of years and try to apply for another non-major language student scholarship. Applying for a scholarship to support doctoral studies would be a different matter.

I too have been based in Chengdu and at 川大. Agreed, those are good places and one couldn't go wrong with a year or two or more there.

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

• Like 1

@Chris: Will report back if I find anything - I'm afraid Zhe Da had no idea and the CSC email account doesn't seem to respond to messages.

@eternalflame I can't be sure but a cursory google search elicited this (with no actual relevance to the CSC, but I imagine it is similar):

notarized written statement of consent (including the child's name and date of birth, as well as a copy of the parent's valid, government-issued identification)

and this (aimed at Americans, but I imagine similar for non-Americans.)

All minors traveling to China must provide a copy of their birth certificate in addition to the other visa requirements specified in these instructions.  Other conditions apply:

• The parents of the minor must provide a copy of each parent’s US Passport
  • If the parents are not accompanying the minor on the trip, both parents must provide a notarized consent letter that states the child has permission to travel.  To access a sample consent letter follow this link: http://visacentral.com/forms.php?formname=ParentalConsent.pdf or type the address into your browser

If in doubt, try calling the school you are applying or the consulate (if able to contact!). 

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions.

1) I don't really understand what CSC means by "notarized documents". I translated my french diplomas into english, then I got the translations checked by my university and each document has been stamped: "these document is true, but not certified" (written in french). My university told me that there is no way to obtain "notarized translation" of my diplomas. Does "notarized documents" just mean checked by the university?

2) I apply for a master's degree and I have already obtained a master's degree, and I'm currently pursuing a second master's degree in France (one year each). I have no way to prove that I'm currently pursuing this second master's degree, because the "official student card" can't be translated into english. Is that a problem or not ?

3) With a good mark on HSK, can I be almost certain to get the scholarship ? I got HSK 6 with 235/300 and I apply for a master's degree in law taught in chinese, but I have no idea whether performing well on HSK can play or not a decisive role.

Thank you for your help!

Good night.

- I live in Florida, do I have to send my documents to the consulate in Texas or can I send them to the embassy in DC? If I have to send them to the consulate in Texas, will the agency number be the same or different? 

You should send documents to our Consulate General in Houston, Texas. The agency number is different.

That's strange because last year I sent it to the embassy in DC and received the scholarship. Did they maybe think you were talking about visa documents?

Also does anyone know the exact deadline this year?