Chinese-Forums

CSC 2016 Applications

Chris Two Times

Hey, I've been trying for the past several weeks to figure out what's going on with this scholarship thing, and I'm getting the runaround from the embassy, the universities, and the programs. I'm happy to have stumbled across this thread and hopefully someone can give me some answers.

Let's say I want to apply for the CGS Bilateral Program for general language study for the next semester (March 2017) for let's say BLCU, what's the process? Did I miss the deadline? The way you all are talking about it is like there's one deadline and everything gets awarded once a year in July. Is that right? Like, I can't apply today and be accepted and start studying in March with this scholarship because I would've needed to do all of this last year?

And my embassy (USA) needs representation from a sponsoring university, but I'm not in university. So I can directly apply to the Chinese school with their code, right? So let's say I want to apply to BLCU, I just input their university code into the "Agency Number" slot. And then this will get sent to whom? To BLCU? Or to some government agency? If it gets sent to BLCU for admission, then the only deadline would be their registration deadline, correct? So applying now wouldn't be a problem because their deadline is on Jan. 13? I legit don't understand.

I hope someone can shed some light on this issue for me. Thanks.

@Breaknet

It is good to see your post, happy to know you are there but could you explain further what you have in mind about studying in China and being careful with the application materials.

• New Members

Hello, everybody!

In the beginning of November I applied for one-semester scholarship from March-2017, but this morning I received mail which said - 孔子学院奖学金申请单号已经驳回 according to Google translate my application has been rejected, but they nowhere mentioned why and what is the problem. I have passed HSK-3 with 284 points and HSKK with 82, and the director of the Confucius Institute in my country has helped me to prepeare and submit the documents and according to him everything with the documents was fine. Can someone tell me what might be the problem, has someone experienced the same thing? What should I do next?

@Elijah

My point is the following one. If you mess up your application (in my case, I did a translation mistake), there is no way that you could correct it afterward. For example, if you get assigned to a designated university, the CSC will only allow you to move to another one if ''you have a good reason'' for doing so. Bad learning environment? They don't care. Unqualified teachers? They don't care. Administration bullying? They don't care. Therefore, I really wonder what a ''good reason'' is.

Therefore, you must be absolutely CERTAIN about your studies in China: both for the academic purposes and the cultural environment. Otherwise, you'll end up in a bureaucratic black hole and you will have absolutely no safeguards for helping you out.

Despite the fact that I am very glad that some students have a lively and thriving personal experience, I can not avoid mentioning the shortcomings that I have faced on a daily basis during this semester in China. Hopefully, I wish that things will sort themselves out, but I have absolutely no control on the previously mentioned elements.

Best regards,

@reric123

Reading previous threads will answer most of your questions, however, take this and good luck.

As much as I know, CSC offers scholarship once a year and the resumption is usually in September.

Now is the right time to apply, most schools have advertised. If you like BLCU, while filling the CSC form, fill their agency code and fill the remaining two options with alternative Universities that have the programme you plan on doing. Send all application documents to BLCU ensuring to confirm what they want you to send. BLCU may have some application forms which you may need to fill on their online application platform. Confirm all these and check out if they need hard copy documents. BLCU should have published a procedure on their website, find it and follow it. After submitting, you could contact with the BLCU to monitor progress or wait for announcement of results in July/August and resume late August or early September.

• Like 1

Thanks @Elijah 

This would imply that I'd have to wait for another year. And I'm not going to do that. I wasn't sure what the process was, but it sounds like the CSC application only gets submitted once per year. I don't know why this information is not freely available and obvious on their website, but whatever.

So the next question is, is there a way for me, as a non-university general scholar to get a scholarship right now (Jan.4, 2017) to a university for the Feb. 25, 2017 semester start date. 

Contacting the universities have not been helpful as they do not speak English well enough (that's why I want to learn Chinese!!) and the response time is very long (I've been trying to find information for over two weeks). 

Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me suggestions?? Can I enter for one semester and apply for next semester with the CGS scholarship? Will being in a university void me from getting a scholarship like someone on this thread mentioned?

• New Members

Hi everyone,

I have been accepted into a Chinese University this Spring for a year under the Chinese Language Program. I was admitted as a self-supported student, but am interested in applying for the CSC scholarship this April. Does this rule me out of applying and should I apply for a different university under CSC in hoping I enter under a scholarship?

Thanks

RaeJames

@reric123

It is good, you have started reading other threads, there is a hardly a question that someone has not encountered and asked before. Search further.

It's clear, you do't plan to wait till September for resumption.

Many schools will not allow enrolled students to apply for scholarship as much as I know but if you search, you may find a school that permits such.

As I mentioned in my last post, the website/application platforms of Universities usually stipulates the admission/scholarship criteria/requirements. For successful application through a particular school, you must find how they operate. You may not follow only what is on CSC website. Combine both for best effects.

However, generally, if you have a first degree or master degree in related field and you are non-Chinese citizen in good health, you should  be able to qualify. You could even be taken if your degree is from an unrelated field as long as you have a supervisor's (professor's)  support in the department or program you want to apply.

And for contacting schools, persistence is the word! Use mails, use calls, they can call out to someone that speaks English around to listen to you and decode to them.

@RaeJames

If you have been admitted with that profile, it is likely you already have a student number generated and awaiting your registration to activate it. My advise is you find another school you like and use them as your agency. You could also ask the school in which you are admitted if they will be willing to allow you apply for scholarship through them. Their answer will be either yes or no. Whichever will not affect you negatively. If they say no, you carry on with the earlier advice or anyone you finally take

• New Members

Hey guys,

I'm currently doing my PhD research in Beijing under the CGS received in 2016.

Is there any opportuniry for me to get any other additional scholarship for learning Chinese (at least covering the part of the tuition fee)?

I would really appreciate any information on it.

hello I want to ask, actually I got outstanding foreign students scholarship. It's aslo a part of csc scholarship, but It's only for who self funding student and only cover for tuition fee. The problem is I want to know is there anyone ever got this scholarship? And I really want to know when they will send the money to my bank account. School has asked my bank account and number, but I really need to know when they usually send it, because I need that money to pay my dorm for next semester. Please, I really need answer and usually the one who already in china university know about this scholarship.

• Like 1

• New Members

Hi everyone, please am interested in the Chinese Government Scholarship 2017. I am Nigerian and plan to apply through the university. I am finding it difficult to get acceptance letter from a professor, what effect will this have on my application if I apply without one?