Chinese-Forums

CSC 2016 Applications

Chris Two Times

Just a weird hunch...

...are fewer and fewer Chinese universities supporting scholarships for one year of Chinese language study only (non-degree programs) than before?

Looking at a few websites (BNU, BLCU), it seems that they (BNU, BLCU) only support scholarships for Master's and PhD candidates.

I'm emailing some of these schools now to get direct answers about this. I'll keep searching for universities that will support one year of Chinese language study only (non-degree programs).

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

• Like 1

jobm,

Just checking:

You got a scholarship for one year of language study only (non-degree program), true?

That was for 2014-2015?

At which institution was that?

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

@sofi1

Hello, I'll try to answer your question, the CSC itself doesn't answer e-mails. I'll explain step by step:

1. Go to your Chinese Embassy in your country, in this case Peru, they will tell the requirements and probably they publish when the application process is open for you, so go to ask about it or call them, but generally must embassies publish in their website.

2. Once you complete all the documentation required by CSC and your Embassy, give them to your Embassy they will select candidates and send the documents directly to CSC.

3, CSC sends the documents to the universities you've chosen, in this case if you have a pre-admission letter is a good idea make this your first choice and don't forget to include the pre-admission letter in the documents.

4. Wait for results... 

Generally results are published until early July or late in August.

My best wishes in your application process, I speak Spanish so you can pm me if you have any doubt, sorry for the late rely, very busy with final exams.

• Like 1

Hi there,

I'm applying as a non-degree Chinese student for a 2-year scholarship (ideally) for The Ocean University of China (OUC) this year. I'm a current student studying Chinese there. I've several questions:

1) Do I need to submit 2 recommendation letters? I've read in the introduction page of this thread that as a non-degree, recommendation letters are not required, but on the CSC online application form, it says it's required.

Would it be good to ask 2 of my current Chinese teachers at OUC to write recommendation letters for me?

2) I noticed that I need to have a photocopy of a notarized transcript and notarized diploma of the highest level of education (which is Bachelor's for me).
Where do I need to get these documents notarized?

Does that mean I should order an official transcript via my former university (UBC): http://students.ubc....rds/transcript? Would that be considered notarized? Or do I have to get my former university to officially notarize the transcript and diploma? If so, how do I go about doing that?

And would having the final term of my transcript be ok or do I need my entire transcript?

3) Do I need to submit 2 or 3 photocopies of all the documents required?

4) Also, do I first send all of my documents to the Canadian embassy or somewhere else?

Thanks in advance!  :)

ling_ling24,

1. I am under the impression that letters of recommendation are not required for the language scholarship. From the Study in China website from CSC:

5. Two Recommendation Letters (written in Chinese or English);

Applicants for the graduate programs or the senior scholar programs must submit two recommendation letters signed by a professor or an associate professor.

Check again on that online application whether or not they are just referring to applications for degree programs.

2. Regarding notarized transcripts, my universities in the U.S. "crimp" the transcript with a seal that leaves raised lettering on the paper. They then seal the transcripts and sign along envelope seal to make it official. Check that UBC does the same. Contact them to see if they notarize these (if this crimping is considered notarized), how it could be notarized on their end.

From that list of application requirements, does that just refer to having to notarize copies of transcripts that were originally not written in either English or Chinese?

3. Academic transcripts (written in Chinese or English);

Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.

I would think that entire transcripts would be necessary, not just a record of one term.

3. Two copies of the documents should be submitted. Also from the Study in China website:

All documents should be bound together on top left corner in the order of 6.1 to 6.10.

You should submit TWO sets of bound documents.

4. I believe you would send the documents to the Chinese Embassy in Ottawa. For U.S. citizens who are language scholarship applicants, these documents should be sent to the Chinese Embassy in Washington, D.C. They would be considered to be the "dispatching authorities for overseas study of your home country for CGS opportunity".

When in doubt, check with the Consulate in Vancouver and/or the Embassy in Ottawa. Good luck!

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

eternalflame,

Yes, many universities in China now honor CSC scholarships for one year of Chinese language study in non-degree programs. A select few will even honor scholarships for two years of Chinese language study.

Check the website links posted at the very beginning of this thread to get started with this process and gather information!

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

Thanks before,

May i know what will happens if a university accept me but i dont give any confirmation and choose another scholarship instead? bc im going to take confucious too

and is it okay if i only choose 1 university?so i keep the 2nd and 3rd Preferences of Institution blank

Hello guys nice to meet you here once again. I am applying for the CSC scholarship thios year and i want to know if anyone here knows

-of Chinese Universities and Colleges Application Service (CUCAS)  because i am applying through them.

- please what exactly is the Agency number

- exactly when it starts for my country Ghana because i learned it has not started yet.

Ametfive,

Would you ultimately send your application to the Chinese Embassy in Accra? If so, the Chinese Embassy in Accra should have an agency number.

You may want to contact them directly to ask about CSC applications for Ghanaian citizens:

http://gh.china-embassy.org/eng/

For me as a U.S. applicant, I will send my application for one year of language study in a non-degree program to the Chinese Embassy in Washington, D.C. I will use the agency number for them (which so happens to be 8401 for all of you U.S. applicants out there).

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

@chris two times

may i know how to get admission letter?

and

"1. Proposed Study in China: Chinese Language Student
2. Duration of the Major Study: For people learning Chinese - you can study for either one or two years, starting in September.

4.Organization/Person Recommending You: I say go for anything that sounds official: Use your university, your professor, the company you work for, this forum, whatever."

where should i write that? type them on the computer??

thanks

eternalflame,

As for Pre-admissions Letters, contact your most desired university directly and see what they say as to how they handle those/how generous/stingy they are with them.

NOTE: emailing now may be a futile endeavor as university campuses are beginning to shut down for the winter break/semester break/spring festival holiday now. I would say email universities starting from Monday, February 22nd to get any possible responses.

1. Proposed Study in China: Chinese Language Student

2. Duration of the Major Study: For people learning Chinese - you can study for either one or two years, starting in September.

4.Organization/Person Recommending You: I say go for anything that sounds official: Use your university, your professor, the company you work for, this forum, whatever."

where should i write that? type them on the computer??

The above is unclear to me. I suspect that you mean that those are lines on the online application from this website:

http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/noticeen.html .

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

May i know what will happens if a university accept me but i dont give any confirmation and choose another scholarship instead? bc im going to take confucious too

and is it okay if i only choose 1 university?so i keep the 2nd and 3rd Preferences of Institution blank

eternalflame,

Sure, I believe you can list only one university on your application if you wish, but if that one choice doesn't accept you who knows what will happen? I guess either you wouldn't get the scholarship or you would just be sent to wherever the CSC would decide to send you. Who knows?

On my application I am going to write three preferences even though I don't have a third choice at the moment (there are only two I am leaning towards at the moment--that will change though).

I'm not sure what you mean by your first question. If you are applying for multiple scholarships, I think you should eventually notify the "losing" party in your search, that is, tell them, "thank you, but I now have another scholarship offer in hand" when/if it comes to that point. Wait and see.

Just my two jiao,

Chris Two Times

To all the Europeans out there: are you applying straight to the Mission of P.R. in Brussels or are you also applying directly to your Universities of choice? I'm ready to start applying though I'm not sure how I should address it yet. I figure if you submit your application on campuschina.org and mail the documents to the office in Brussels, they will automatically forward your documents to your Universities of choice? I'll be applying for a Master programme taught in Chinese at Sichuan University, with one year of preparatory Chinese classes. 

@aymen

My approach is applying everywhere (applying for Master too).

I've contacted the university and I'll apply at their website, I've contacted the Chinese embassy in my country and will send the documents to them and to the Mission of P.R. China in Brussels too. Not sure it's doable but I will try.