Chinese-Forums

I always thought hotpot was addictive....

realmayo

Chinese restaurants 'used opium poppies as seasoning'

From http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/22/tasty-habit-chinese-restaurants-use-opium-poppies-seasoning

Thirty-five restaurants across China, including a popular Beijing chain, have been accused of illegally using opium poppies as seasoning.

Five restaurants are being prosecuted while 30 others, ranging from Shanghai dumpling joints to noodle shops in south-western Chongqing, are under investigation, said China’s food and drug administration.

Cases of cooks sprinkling ground poppy powder, which contains low amounts of opiates such as morphine and codeine, in soup and seafood are not new in China, though it is unclear whether they can effectively get a customer hooked or deliver a noticeable buzz.

.... the article mentions Huda hotpot chain -- any regular customers here?

edited

Not sure about poppy powder made from the shells, powder made from seeds is safe. Since they used the former here, we have to see what the investigation shows.

Oh oh! I had a Chinese ladyfriend who told me her father swore by this--I guess this may be true after all.

"Where there's smoke there's fire..." (haha! in more ways than one with the fiery hotpot)

I have heard that the Beijing 串儿 folks may do the same, but then again, I've always suspected that McDonald's laces its food with something as well (Big Mac Attacks! :shock: ).

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

• 2 weeks later...