Chinese-Forums

Master in China Studies- Yenching Academy of Peking University

Angelina

For those interested in China Studies, this seems like a good option.

Probably the strongest China Studies curriculum I have seen so far:

http://yenchingacademy.org/YenchingAcademyCurriculum20150907.pdf

Unfortunately, deadline for application is January 31 2016. If you are interested, you should contact admissions as soon as possible.  

Promotional video here (scroll down):

http://yenchingacademy.org/Home/Index/index

What does a successful applicant look like?

In addition to an outstanding academic career as evidenced from transcripts and letters of recommendation, successful applicants will also have been able to show that they have the potential to be leaders in their chosen fields. The admissions committee looks to the personal statement for a well-reasoned and persuasive explanation of how applicants will benefit from being a Yenching Scholar. Interviews with finalists help the committee get a sense of the applicant’s intellectual and personal qualities, and how well they are suited for the program.

• Like 3

Is this BeiDa's answer to Tsinghua's Schwarzman Scholars? (or something like that)

Both offer a scholarship and seem to be selective, however, BeiDa has experts teaching Chinese history and philosophy. This is an advantage, other China Studies/Sinology programs (both inside and outside of China) don't have such a solid foundation. 

A prospective Yenching Scholar:

- Is typically under the age of 26 on August 31, 2016

- Has an outstanding academic record

- Has demonstrated leadership skills

makes you feel old, doesn't it? :D

I think they have this requirement because they hope graduates will eventually get a doctorate. 

Yes, on one hand it makes me feel old :) On the other hand, being 26 and demonstrating leadership skills are impossible, even if you start working right after finishing your bachelor's degree. I don't really understand why it has become so common to throw in "leadership skills" as an academic requirement. It requires a fundamentally different focus. 

@roddy

Doing this kind of activities in my university years, I still think that it is nothing compared to leadership in "real life". Taking responsibility for other's people work in actual working environment is a place where you can demonstrate that you're capable. But it's just my two cents.

@Flickserve

I don't intend to apply anything but an MBA (and definitely not in Beijing :P)

• Like 1

"actual working environment" does not mean it has to be a business environment where you are being paid in one of the international currencies. Therefore, your contribution to society does not have to be limited to earning money (the officially recognized currencies), for yourself or the company. A leader, for example, can be against a society based on profit instead of humanism. Earning money, MBA degrees, is not the only way to be a leader. Look at Confucianism.

There are many people who have shown excellent leadership skills while being 26 or younger. The program is looking for people with the potential to grow.

• Like 2

Yeah, agree with that.

The real thing that bugs me "being a leader/demonstrating leadership ability" became the requirement of the millenials everywhere. It is the new "be creative and innovative", which is quite subjective, and unnecessary.

Anyway, anyone knows whether there is a qualitative difference between "Chinese Studies" and "Sinology"? In Central Europe, I have never heard about a Chinese Studies master degree program, only Sinology, and it seems that the focus points of the program are different as well. In the region, there is a stronger emphasis on language skills and philology related disciplines (mainly pre-CCP history and culture), and less or even no focus on contemporary society, economics and international relations.

• Like 1

It might be interesting comparing:

http://www.soas.ac.uk/cia/degrees/masinology/

http://www.soas.ac.uk/cia/degrees/machinstudies/

As for 'leadership skills', the phrase sounds horrid to my ears, like it's important to the people doing the teaching that those they teach go on to become big powerful figures in the world.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

This program looks pretty interesting to me and I think I'd really love to have a crack at getting a scholarship for this in the future. I'm already 25, but I think if you have demonstrated leadership qualities, have a high first-class honors degree in Chinese studies and glowing letters of recommendation from previous professors and a keen interest in pursuing studies to the doctoral level, you would be in with a good shot at admission. It seems a quite prestigious and very rigorous China Studies Master's degree program and, well, color me hopeful.

• 2 months later...