Chinese-Forums

máfan nǐ -vs- qǐng gěi wǒ

twinmatrix

I learned this:

qǐng gěi wǒ yīgè sùliàodài

But when I was practicing Mandarin with my hair dresser, she told me it is weird to say that and I should say this:

máfan nǐ yīgè sùliàodài

But shouldn't it be this?

máfan nǐ gěi wǒ yīgè sùliàodài

Also, is it better to use máfan nǐ instead of qǐng when ordering something? Like...

qǐng géi wǒ yīgè měi shì kāfēi

Thanks!! :)

I'd use máfan nǐ when making a minor request of some sort: perhaps you're asking the checkout clerk to hand you an extra bag.

I wouldn't use it when just ordering at Starbucks; their job is to serve you. But maybe if you want an extra something or something done a certain way, then use it.

I think that 麻烦你 is more when you are giving someone "trouble" in the sense they have to do something extra or what they wouldn't normally do. To be honest, if they are in the service industry and you're asking them to do something, you probably don't need to say this at all unless it's something really out of the ordinary. If you want an extra bag, tissue, more milk etc that's fine, just ask for it. I'd say especially when there is no waitress service, you are getting everything yourself (like in Starbucks).

If you are in the North of China, almost everyone uses 来 lai2 when ordering or asking for things e.g 来一杯拿铁 , 来一碗米饭, 来一个袋子. Saying "please give me ..." Just sounds odd when used in a casual setting. I know a lot of Chinese learners want to be polite but usually it just makes you sound weird to Chinese people.

• Like 2

You must have used this hairdresser a few times before, that is why you can ask for a 'favour' from somebody you know. Hence, using mafan ni...

It's not quite a buyer seller first time meeting.

Yup! But I should've been more clear: I didn't ask HER for a plastic bag. I was just practicing pronunciation with her, considering she is Mandarin. Then she told me no one says "qing gei wo" in daily life and I should use "mafan ni" instead.

So from what I understand, it would be better to say "lai dabei de meishi kafei" and "lai yige suliaodai"?

And reserve "mafan ni" for small additional favors?

You say 来 is a Northern China thing, so what is said in general? I'm not going to North China. XD

I don't think I've ever used 请给我 qǐng géi wǒ, if you are going to use that type of a sentence where you're asking someone for something, I believe 麻烦你 máfan nǐ is much more natural sounding.  

I would not use it when ordering, I'm just saying in general I do not use 请给我, and if there is a situation where I'd have to use that structure I'd use 麻烦你.  If I'm ordering food at a restaurant I'd use 要.

That said I just searched both 请给我 and 麻烦你 on Baidu, and 请给我 had a bout 26 million hits while 麻烦你 had around 24 million, so the 请给我 still looks to be used often in situations, I personally just don't use it.

I am on vacation so I now have time to read this thread for the first time. I have no strong views on the discussion as people can say the same things in many different ways. I wouldn't say "麻煩你" is weird or uncommon or unusual, though, as it has just occurred to me that I say it to my subordinates, probably for no particular reasons other than feeling like using different phrases and words. It is never wrong to be polite. And I personally don't think it is right not to say 請你 or 麻煩你 to someone simply because it is their jobs to serve you.

來 is not considered acceptable in all parts of the Chinese speaking world. And there are different kinds of "Chinese people".