Chinese-Forums

Living at Beijing Normal University

chengdude

This is actually for someone considering teaching at BNU rather than studying. Can anyone clue me in on the living quarters there? From the brief description provided by the school, it sounds like foreign teachers basically live in dorm rooms...that, or a closet with an attached bathroom. Any impressions from current or former students/teachers appreciated.

They are dorm rooms with private baths, but they are in the new dorm and are rather spacious and airy. You might be able to swing a two-room arrangement; I'm not really sure how it's done (I taught part-time while studying, so they didn't cover my housing).

One thing that some of the teachers had issues with (and became a point of contention between them and the management) is that the building is rather strict on checking IDs of Chinese guests, and would pretty consistently enforce a curfew of 11:00 (for guests), phoning up, knocking on doors and such to kick them out.

Note: This is for English teachers (of non-major students); if you are some other type of "foreign expert" I believe you get a kitchen-apartment (although they might be renovating that building right now).