Chinese-Forums

Chinese Movie that changed China

akire

Hi, 

I'm about to chose a subject for my bachelor thesis in Chinese. I would like to focus on social change and base the whole idea of the thesis on an influential chinese movie/tv-show that somewhat divided the country or changed public opinion in a matter. Originally I wanted to write about how the view on western women changed in China after "洋妞在北京" but can't seem to find it anywhere. Do you have any tips on other movies, books or tv shows that could be of help? 

Any help is appreciated!

Best regards

The Big Bang Theory and Chinese students perhaps.

Friends was popular, many coffee shops called Central Perk/Friends in China, many girls choose Phoebe as an English name, cheesecakes seem to be popular, is it because of Friends?

Titanic?  Really?  How did it divide the country?  How did it change public opinion?  The question wasn't "what's a popular movie that sold a lot of tickets?"

Kung Fu Panda really opened a lot of eyes in China.  Not only did foreigners do a bang-up job treating Chinese culture, something considered heretofore impossible, but the movie itself could never have been produced in China.  The culture ministry would have vetoed it in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

from realmayo's link

The government-run Xinhua news agency responded with a lengthy analysis of the success of ‘Titanic’, promising that “China can soon make a ‘Titanic’ of its own”.

The Great Wall?

Matt Damon, Zhang Yimou, and a huge budget

and 刘德华 ☺️

Roddy, in case you don't know, "A River Elegy" is in Internet Archive, resolution is very poor but it is viewable and the soundtrack is clear. I've seen the transcript mentioned somewhere about but can't remember where, I'll have to search for it.  And I absolutely agree it had an enormous impact - to the extent that it could even be linked to the Tiananmen Square events a year later. 

https://archive.org/search.php?query=river%20elegy∧[]=mediatype%3A%22movies%22

Unfortunately it was influential only among intellectuals, and we all know what weight that has in China.

Realmayo, good post! I never saw Titanic in that light, but now that you mention it....Like so many things about China, context is all.

I believe that Under the Dome has/had the potential to stir something. That's why it was pulled out within a few days and environmental pressure groups came under stricter controls. But it may come back, enough people saw it and talked about it in China.

• Like 2

It's quite remarkable reading just the Wiki entry on River Elegy - it's like a different country. Here's a six part documentary critical of Chinese culture and it's on CCTV and the People's Daily published the scripts! I don't use exclamation marks lightly, by the way.

I don't think there's any 'could even' in the link to Tiananmen. See here, I just robbed the link from the Wiki page. 

'' 'River Elegy' was a propaganda coup for bourgeois liberalization,'' Hong Minsheng, the deputy director of China Central Television Station, said in a blistering self-criticism broadcast on the evening news. ''The broadcast of 'River Elegy' provided theoretical and emotional preparation for the recent turmoil and rebellion.''

• Like 4