Chinese-Forums

HSK - Specialized Test? General Knowledge?

Harvey

Hello Everyone,.

There is a test for Japanese called the JPLT, the Japanese Proficiency... Language... Test or something. Anyway, I passed the highest level of this test a few years ago, but I don't think I coudl pass it now if I took it again. Reason being, this test is really... a test.

The Japanese in it is a little quirky. You need to study for -that- test, with old examples of -that- test, with books designed for -that- test, in order to do well.

Even if you lived in Japan 5 years and could speak fine, you wouldn't necessarily pass the test.

I was wondering if HSK was similar. Do you need to specifically study for HSK to do well? Or is it the kind of test where if you know chinese well, you can do well on the exam?

Thanks for any tips

- Harvey

Knowing Chinese well is obviously a pre-requisite, but knowing the exam well is also very helpful - if you know in which part you are meant to scan for specific information, in which to get a general 'gist' of a text, or if you know broadly what types of questions come up in the grammar section - ie, a measure word question, a choose the 'de' question, then you'll be able to identify what you are meant to be doing much quicker, and hence spend more time on the actual reading / listening to questions.

Roddy