Chinese-Forums

CIS scholarship in Beijing

esteebao

Hello everybody,

I'm going to ask for a one-semester CIS scholarship. Since I already attended a Chinese course at BLCU last summer, I'd like to study there again. Unfortunately, when I asked for information at the Confucius Institute of my university they strongly recommended asking for a scholarship at their partner university (Liaoning Normal University in Dalian) and said it's unlikely to get a scholarship at BLCU. I'm a bit perplexed because I know that there are people who ask for a scholarship without intermediaries and they succeed in getting it as well. Is it really so hard to get a scholarship from the universities in Beijing? I'm determined to choose BLCU as first option and BFSU as second option. Is there anyone who got a scholarship from these two univerties, despite not being students of a partner university? And which other universities in Beijing do you suggest?

Hello,

I'm going to apply for a semester or a one-year scholarship, but I don't know if one might be easier to get than the other. If I knew that a semester scholarship would be easier to get, I would apply for that one, and vice versa. I also wanted to ask if it is possible to apply for both the Chinese government and the Confucius Institute scholarship at the same time. 

It is a case-by-case basis. After much thinking, I have decided to remain in Beijing and hopefully on a CSC scholarship for one year of language study in a non-degree program. I targeted BLCU and I did email BLCU back in December and they told me the same thing that you found out, that BLCU does honor scholarships for language students, but only for those from their partner universities. BLCU is now off my list of desired universities.

Other Beijing universities may honor the scholarship for language studies. Email a few of them and see what they say.

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

• Like 1

I am under the impression that more universities would honor a scholarship for one year (two semesters). I am not under the impression that a one-year scholarship would be harder to get than a one-semester scholarship. I would encourage you to just go ahead and apply for a scholarship covering one year (two semesters).

I am going to apply for a scholarship covering one year (fall and spring semesters) for the 2016-2017 academic year.

As for recommending a specific university, the only thing I can say is give ALL Beijing universities a look and decide which one would be the best fit for you.

This is from the CSC Scholarship Council "Study in China" website and this has been very useful for me in selecting three Beijing universities for my CSC scholarship application. Give it a look and decide which Beijing university is the best for you:

http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/universityen.aspx#beijing

Lots of universities here!

Good luck with the application process!

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

Edited by Chris Two Times

Oh! Apologies. My words above pertain to the CSC scholarship and not the CIS scholarship. I guess you could apply for both and if/when you get both, then make the decision which ONE to accept.

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times

• 2 weeks later...

大家好!

I would like to study Chinese in a non-degree program in Beijing for one semester or one year, but I don't know whether to ask for a CSC scholarship or a CIS scholarship (or try to ask for both). Can anybody suggest me which option would be better?

Oh! I just got word that Capital Normal University will not honor the CSC scholarship for one year of language study in non-degree programs for 2016-2017 (d'oh!). I was hoping that they would honor it and I was originally told that they would but I double checked and just got an email from them and this link:

http://www.ciecnu.cn/index.php?controller=lxnew&action=intro&msg=cn&type=4&id=42

It seems that more and more Beijing universities are using the CSC scholarship for master's degree and doctoral candidates only.

One interesting point gleaned from that CNU website: their age limit for scholarship applicants for Master's programs is 40 and their age limit for scholarship applicants for doctoral programs is 45. From the CSC website it appears that the age limits are 35/40. Interesting change of direction from CNU.

http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/scholarshipdetailen.aspx?cid=97&id=3157

Warm regards,

Chris Two Times