Chinese-Forums

Living in Beijing and Shanghai is too expensive

Pokarface

@Zhouhaochen Time to derail the thread for the Lulz and bragging rights.

Hmm, I wonder if my college degree & my decent shot in the IT field, speaking Chinese, just started investing (Since I'm only 26 and this month I actually paid-off my last $1k of student debt), and speaking 4 other languages will help me.

Plus looking like this on Summer might help (Yes, that's me back in college! I won a couple of competitions, got featured in a magazine, and got sponsored! I'm also a regular at the bodybuilding.com forums. Ask for my profile)

pokarface.jpg

pokarface_restroom.jpg

You can see one of my competition videos where they even call me by my nickname, Pokarface!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IaFjsv4ZxA

And well, at the end of the day, this American stallion comes with a passport included ;-)

Haha! I had fun writing this. Please don't downvote me x-D

• Like 1

@Roddy Oh! I've never thought of it. I always thought male models have very "delicate" facial features. My face is more "rough"

Besides, I'm 5'09" (around 1.74m). Too short for the modeling gigs that I think you're talking about.

I think you are being sarcastic after I read the shy and modest part of your post  :mrgreen:

When I workout, my goal is always to build as much muscle as possible instead of looking sexy, but since I train naturally, I can't build more muscle mass than my genes will allow. So I end up looking sexy instead of like a monster even though looking like a monster is my real goal. In the bodybuilding world, if somebody tells you what a "beast" "Monster" "freak"! That's actually a compliment   :D

Edit: Time to go back to living in Beijing and Shanghai (or even New Taipei). One fantasy at a time, lol. I don't want to get overwhelmed with too many thoughts and not enough actions =-) 

Actually no, I wasn't being entirely sarcastic (the shy and modest bit was, I admit, a bit sarky). You know those foreigners you see in Chinese films and TV, that are obviously not 'real' actors but foreign students and teachers they've drafted in? Same thing happens in modelling. Maybe not as much as it used to, but...Anyway, not the most dignified or safe of options, but you never know. 

• Like 2

Haha, this thread has derailed quickly... well back to topic: salaries 2nd tier cities and lower are not that much lower for foreigners, but costs are. So purely from a savings perspective it often makes sense looking for cities outside Shanghai/Beijing. 

But yes, Beijing is expensive, you won't live like a king as an English teacher, but if you budget accordingly and have a bit of discipline you can still live well. 

• Like 2