Chinese-Forums

wechat on computer

Flickserve

I just found out there is Wechat for PC.

Are there any disadvantages to installing it? Anything to be careful of? I found emailing into China is a bit inconsistent when using gmail. Wechat may be more convenient, especially when sending receiving small sound files.

you will need to scan the QR code every single time you log in, it is a bit 麻烦, not as flawless as using it on your phone

also, last time I checked, certain features were not there

There is a version that you do have to install. Very limited when it comes to functionality but for the basic stuff it works fine.

I type a lot faster with computer so whenever I am at home and I am using the computer I switch it on and it saves me an inmense amount of time since I barely need to look at the phone.

It allows you to text, send files and using your webcam you can also make video calls.

One way I like to use it, is to transfer files to my phone... I send files to my own account, it is faster than email, bluetooth or using a cable to copy.

The disadvantages are that it doesn't take advantages of being a PC version. Last time I was having trouble drag-and-dropping files from my PC to WeChat'sPC version.

And I think making video calls also failed on PC version. I haven't used it in a while since you still have to scan the QR code every time.

Try it out and tell us if it's working now, haha. The other replies agree with my first impressions a while ago.

@Pokarface, I remember you are an IT guy. I was trying to transfer a wechat soundfile and picture to my computer but I can't find the folder. Can you help?

I thought the wechat PC version might be easier to do this but it seems rather troublesome.

What's an alternative to gmail to share docs., pdfs, sound files to China?

@Flickserve See, that's the main disadvantage I found on WeChat for PC back then x-D
If you have an Android, Wechat files can be accessed through OI File Manager.

Tencent > MicroMsg > WeChat.

That's the default folder where you'll find the pictures. After choosing one you can email it or upload it to any cloud system.

This got installed on my PC last time I installed my QQ. It looks like a Cloud based storage system, but I've never used it.

upload.png