Chinese-Forums

Is principals a misused word in the text?

Kenny同志

We comply with all privacy principals and laws which regulate how we collect, use, disclose, store and protect your personal information.

Hello folks, is principals a misused word in the text? None of the definitions listed in the Free Dictionary seems to fit.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/principal

Thanks for your help.

Kenny, the English text is flawed. Should have been "principles." (Like Lu said, above.) The people who wrote the English text made a mistake. Confusing "principal" and "principle" is a common spelling mistake, not a special Australian term or use.

"Principle" = A fundamental truth that serves as a foundation or basis (of something.)

So in your example:

• "We comply with all privacy principals and laws which regulate how we collect, use, disclose, store and protect your personal information."
  • Should have been, "We comply with all privacy principles and laws which ..."
  • Meaning: "We comply with all fundamental truths about privacy and privacy laws which ..."
  • Like 1

Could this be a special term that is used only in Australia? The text is from an Australian firm.

The text is from an Australian firm that can't spell :mrgreen:

I would include a polite note when you hand in your translation pointing out the error, so they can correct the English.

• Like 1

Thanks for pointing that out, Abcdefg. I was going to check this with the client. No need to do that now. : )

I recomend checking with the client as well. Although you think it probably is a spelling error (I think it is), it is still your assumption that they made a mistake. Therefore, double checking with the company is safest, especially if it is a translation you are working on.
  • Like 1

The text is from an Australian firm that can't spell  :mrgreen:

I would include a polite note when you hand in your translation pointing out the error, so they can correct the English.

Thanks for your suggestion, Imron. I will affix a note to the translation.

I recomend checking with the client as well. Although you think it probably is a spelling error (I think it is), it is still your assumption that they made a mistake. Therefore, double checking with the company is safest, especially if it is a translation you are working on. 

Thanks Flickserve. I agree. I will affix a note to the translation so that if it turns out to be a special term, they can get back to me for a proper translation.

• Like 1