Chinese-Forums

Considering 2 offers in Suzhou/Zhangjiagang - Please help

KYS1988

• New Members

Hi guys.

I currently have an offer to teach at a school in Suzhou, the basics are 10k/month, free housing. I really liked the look of Suzhou as a city and it seems to have a good expat community with plenty to do.

Now the second offer is for a school in Zhangjiagang, the salary is 12k first month (probation) rising to 15k also with free housing. Now obviously the second offer seems better but I am worried that Zhangjiagang will have a higher cost of living with much less to do in the city. Can anyone with experience of both or even one of these cities please let me know what you think? 

If I would just be travelling to Suzhou/Shanghai all the time anyway and the cost of living is higher than maybe the extra 5k isn't going to be worth that much in the end. Does Zhangjiagang have a real night life? I know it's much smaller. Also, Zhangjiagang seems quite far from anywhere, even though it appears close it's still an hours drive to Suzhou and I can't seem to find any details on trains etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you!