Chinese-Forums

good uses for Anki cloze style notes; fields vs tags for organization

歐博思

Is anyone making use of cloze type notes, and if so for what purpose are they best used? Currently, I have Eng > Ch and Ch> Eng (non-cloze) cards made from notes containing: simplified, traditional, pinyin, English, English example, Chinese example. My study focus is vocabulary in context.

Secondly, I want to keep idioms organized by category for usage in filtered decks. Are there advantages or quirks associated with organizing via fields or tags? I'd like to filter like 'idioms about eating', 'idioms about money', etc.

I let Chinese Text Analyser manage my vocabulary and generate my flashcards (as I hope to always take my words from larger pieces like graded readers), and it includes the "[...]" already, so I don't use Anki's cloze type. The front is Chinese-only with just the sentence (or sentence fragment, or whole paragraph, or whatever is needed) with the [...], and all I see on the back is Hanzi and Romanization. I must know how to say it and write it (as that is my choice). That's all the flashcards I'm doing. 

I settled on this simple setup after some years. I would be willing to provide the long-winded rationale for it if you like, but it's just my opinion and we already have a lot of threads about flashcarding methodology.

About your second question, I would just use tagging.

• Like 1

I don't use Anki, but I have to second what querido wrote.  There's a tendency among many learners (myself included at one point) to over-complicate the learning process, such that you create extra work for yourself in maintaining those processes, but don't derive much in the way of additional learning benefit.

It's one of the main reasons I prefer Pleco over Anki.  The flashcards might not be as flexible, but they are sufficient for my needs and they reduce flashcard maintenance to zero, freeing up time and cognitive effort for other things.

@querido, great to hear CTA is working out :D

Thank you for the input guys.

I study mostly on PC with words saved from Chrome's "Zhongwen Popup Dictionary" and also save many words in Pleco. I wonder if Pleco has considered working together with a pop-up browser plugin programmer or doing one themselves, and making a computer based flashcard program that syncs with the mobile version?  I would probably abandon Anki altogether in a case like that :P

edit: http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/50414-best-replacement-for-lingt/?hl=%2Bpleco+%2Bdictionary

^ maybe we'll see a desktop Pleco in the future after all? 

Edited by 歐博思