Chinese-Forums

Opinions on new job

nicole92

• New Members

Hi guys, I have recently accepted a job offer in Shenzhen (it's not a teaching job actually, but still in a university, i'll be working as an administrator) I'm native english speaker, with working proficiency in China (thats one of the reasons I got hired) with an MA degree from a Chinese university. I have no prior work experience and my working days/hours are Monday - Friday 8-5 PM, the benefits they offer me are:

12, 000 RMB a month

Transportation, phone and newspaper allowance 

Chinese classes

Work visa (my visa application just got approved, so waiting for them to send my documents to my home country) 

holiday bonuses 

3 months probationary period (will be getting 80% of my salary for the first three months)

15 days of annual leave starting from my second year 

Although I already signed the contract, what do you guys think of the job?  Do you think it's enough to  live in Shenzhen? Does it seem like a good deal or not? The thing i'm quite nervous about is my 3 year contract since it is a long time, and i'm quite afraid that I won't like the job, although it's too late to back out now. 

I have also gotten the opinions of several Chinese friends and a lot of them said it seems like a good deal, although i'd still like to get other opinions from you guys!Thank you! 

Honestly, a few things about this would make me think again. It's not too late either, just tell the company you've changed your mind. You could offer to help pay or pay for visa costs (if they provide receipts or some proof of cost).

What exactly are your responsibilities as an "administrator" though? What will you administrate?

The 3 year contract seems like it could be a mistake. The easiest time to re-negotiate a higher salary is when the company wants you to sign a new contract. If you've got a 3 year one you'd essentially have to tell them, in one way or another , you want more money or you'll break your contract. Unless a decent salary rise is built into the contract? Maybe the company knows it's long but just wants to make sure candidates are committed. It's hard to say.

12 is around the starting/new teacher salary for a teaching job. However, most teachers would get housing included. It looks like you don't which would mean losing a chunk of your salary. Unless you want a lavish lifestyle you should be able to live fairly well on it but "basic". You could probably find work on the side as a tutor too if you wanted.

The 15 days holiday in your second year... Is this in addition to the Chinese holidays that everyone gets? Or does that mean in your second year you'll get 15 days paid of your holiday? University holidays tend to be really long. It would be terrible if they made you stay there during that time.

For comparison, If you taught English in Shenzhen for 3 years and were half decent at it you could probably get 16-20k in the second-third year.

• Like 1

• New Members

Basically I will have to be managing the foreign students there including enrollment ,orientation, and bilingual support. 

So what your saying is that in my second year I can already re-negotiate a higher salary? Because I was thinking of that too when I accepted the job, but forgot to ask. 

I think this is in addition to the Chinese holidays that everyone gets. 

Shenzhen is rapidly becoming the most expensive place to live in China, with soaring housing (and rental) prices. As ChTTay said, you are committing to that lowish salary (12k) for three years. No problem if it's your entry salary, but this robs you of any chance to renegotiate your salary after a good year of working. 

With Chinese working proficiency you should be able to get a job around 15-25k in either Beijing or Shanghai, Shenzhen as a local (foreign) hire. So I'd do this the Chinese style and reconsider.. just tell them that you've calculated your living costs, you'd need 10k rent for an apartment of similar quality/size as your current one in your home country (whether true or not..) and imported foods are expensive etc etc... just make it clear that you won't come to China unless they substantially raise your salary. You're not there yet so they have zero leverage over you. 

Oh and it would be a good job for a local (though not extremely so), but as a a native English speaker you are not in the same job market. 

• Like 1

Check if there any conditions for leaving the contract early say 1 month notice etc.

Additionally, with the continued rise in rents in Shenzhen, it would be hard to live without a pay rise.

I'll chime in as well: given inflation in Shenzhen and existing high housing costs in the city, that's not a good deal at all, especially locked in for three years.

Also, question whether as an administrator you'd get the same school holiday periods as teachers.

Further, changing jobs is pretty common in China, and a three-year commitment is relatively long from that perspective.