Chinese-Forums

Practical Audio-Visual Chinese 5

dtails

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for any reviews of PAVC 5. I have seen a lot of posts by people who have skipped it but I haven't seen a single detailed review of it. I am hoping to hear from people who have personally used it, either as a supplementary book or as the main textbook in a classroom setting. What are the shortcomings and the benefits? My class last week just finished book 4 and we started book 5, so any advice on pitfalls to avoid would be great. Thanks, you guys are the best!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comprehensive review! I am studying at a language center in Taichung and I had suggested to the teacher to try Mini Radio Plays but she insisted on PAVC 5. I have worked half-way through Taiwan Today with self-study and hope to pick up Mini Radio plays after that. From the first three chapters of PAVC 5, I can already see the difficulty quickly increasing, and I'm using a dictionary far more than with PAVC 4. The dialogues and essays are more interesting though, I like the cultural focus similar to Taiwan Today. I agree with you that the 成語 are a great addition and, especially in earlier chapters, I am finding them useful enough to sprinkle into regular conversation. Of course, the first three chapters is only a small section of the twenty chapters so I will try to update when I'm further along or when I can compare it better to other intermediate textbooks.