Chinese-Forums

Tsunami Ghosts?

Quest

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/stdn/std/World/GG08Wd07.html

Many Asians worry that the ghosts of the disaster victims may be haunting beaches and bungalows. A popular superstition in Chinese societies holds that if bodies are not recovered and properly buried, the spirits restlessly wander the world. Some believe the lost souls try to drag living beings into their spiritual limbo land.[/url]

Do westerners share similar beliefs?

• 5 weeks later...

Ermmm

Sorta.

I am not really spiritualistic, but my family is pretty sure we have a ghost or spirit in our house. Things disapear, then reappear; lights go on and off; our dogs sometimes bark randomly at a certain place.

Very unsettling. I don't think I'd necessarily be taken to a limbo though.

-Yuki

No. Here in America we don't necessarily believe in ghosts. And for those that do, they are mainly christians who believe that the spririt of a man either goes to hell, or heaven right after they die. No wandering here.

nipponman

This topic remind me of the time when my ship went to Phuket, Thailand. One of my shipmate was doing the picket boat watch (boat used to defer boats from coming too close to our ship) and he said he keep seeing ghosts all night that day. There is that one incident where it was in the middle of the night and he sort off doze off; he say that he woke up when he felt somebody was looking at him. You know what he saw? A old man leaning into the boat and just staring at him. He blinked for a moment and the old man was gone! Boy, I got the chills when he told me that. He also said he saw a family floating on the water as well and a small girl who waved at him. He told one of the locals who was with him after his watch ended and the man said that a lot of bodies was washed into the bay my ship was anchored in from Patong beach. I was glad I didn't experienced those when I was on watch. :shock: