Chinese-Forums

extending L visa at PSB in Beijing

dondiego

Hi all.

Just wanted to ask if anyone has recent experience extending an L visa at the PSB in Beijing - that is, without having to reenter the country. If so, has anyone been able to do so twice consecutively i.e. 30 days and then again 30 days? I'm asking because in end July I'll be going to my home country and would rather wait till I'm there to switch visa categories altogether, to either X or Z, depending on whether I enroll in a language course or land full time employment.

Additional info: I hold a Peruvian passport and this is my first tourist entry to China ever. Only previous visit was in 2014 for 10 days purely on business, sponsored by my company.

All input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I was able to do it - but that was 2006.

I think the first extension is pretty routine; if you do get a job or sign up for study, the employer or school might be able to help swing the second one. Showing your return flight date might also help.

• Like 1

Beijing PSB has a reputation for being difficult about extending L visas; they may very well want to see US$3000 (US$100 for each day of extension) in a Chinese bank. PSBs in smaller places are usually not so fussy.

The new, or relatively new, law on entry limits the cumulative total of extensions to the original permitted stay on your visa. So if your permitted stay is 30 days, then you can get at most one 30-day extension. There's been an occasional report of some flexibility on (or unfamiliarity with) this rule, but certainly don't assume you'll get anything more than one 30-day extension.

• Like 1