Chinese-Forums

Notarized degree.. from a third country..

kaitmba

Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone else has struggled big time with this concept?

So I was offered a job, but then was told I need to get my degree notarized in the country of which it was received. 

Here's my ordeal. I am currently in China. I am Canadian. And my degree was obtained in France.

From what I gather (and mostly everything is on US sites), but the degree has to be notarized in that country.. meaning, I would have to go to France, get it all stamped, and then come back to China?

If anyone else has struggled with this or can just offer a simple solution, I would be so thankful. I think this is a new requirement, from what I've read, and I'm losing my mind over here!

xie xie nimen

There is probably some way to send the degree to France to get it notarised, instead of personally taking it there. I would start with asking the embassy, in this case the French one, on information on how to notarise degrees (or start with Roddy's link). Your problem is not that much different from that of a French person with a French degree in China. It will likely take some money and mafan, but shouldn't be that complicated.

It's often a good idea to get all degrees notarised before leaving the country (or leaving the country you got them in). I realise this is advice after the fact for you, just adding it here in case someone else comes across this topic. (It's the kind of thing I would also have forgotten, so not blaming you at all.)

It should be as simple as sending it to a friend in France and having them do it for you. Notarizations are funny animals but are usually very simple to get.

The French Embassay also could be a good resource if you are close, but they may only offer notary services to citizens.

Have you asked the nearest French consulate? I know consulates for some countries do this kind of thing. EDIT: ooh possibly only for their own nationals, eg:

"Making a certified copy of a document

This service is for British nationals who need certified photocopies of:
    UK degree certificates

"

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-china

Ouch. But there must be quite a lot of Canada-France academic exchange - perhaps they'd be flexible on this?

The embassy site Roddy provided doesn't specifically say their consular notarial services are only for citizens, so you might as well try calling them up. Try channelling your inner Frenchman.