Chinese-Forums

Android in China

onebir

1. What would be gained by installing Cyanogen Mod, particularly for someone living in China? I see the author's assertion that it would reduce exposure to "Google malware." Is that it?

2. Does installing Cyanogen Mod require rooting the Android phone?

(You can tell that my grasp of this business is pretty shallow.)

Cyanogen Mod is a complete different build of Android that you can flash on your phone. The installation process will remove all previous operating system software on the phone, just like flashing any other ROM.

For each phone that is compatible with Cyanogen Mod there is a particular 'port' of Cyanogen Mod that you need to select

You may need to root the phone first in order to install fimware level programs required to load the ROM you want to flash, aka Recovery. However quite a few phones already have suitable software installed on the phone already. I'm pretty sure my stock Xiaomi Mi4i has a ROM flashing program which Recovery menu is accessible by some certain button pressing when powering the phone on.

Cyanogen Mod is a very powerful base system with various benefits. It's very customisible, gives you much greater flexibility and opens up new possible uses for your smart phone. Such things may or may not be achievable with your device's stock ROM but Cyanogen Mod makes it guaranteed that you can do many things.

Installing it can let you have a higher Android system version than is officially available for your device, extremely useful for breathing new life into older devices.

It's very much targeted towards higher/more advanced/geekier users.

It can convert some Windows Phones into Android Phones.

That's just what I could think of having been years since I briefly played around with Cyanogen Mod. I had a HTC windows smart phone given to me for free by my step father and converting it to Android by installing Cyanogen mod made it a very decent daily driver phone for quite a while before I broke the phone's screen and never got around to getting it fixed.

• Like 1

Thanks, @LinZhenPu.

It's very much targeted towards higher/more advanced/geekier users.

Doesn't sound like it's something I should try. The risks would outweigh the benefits in my case.