Chinese-Forums

5 minutes at a time

winterpromise31

I was reading an article on Hacking Chinese that was talking about the importance of having study resources available that require various amounts of time. I have two textbooks (Beginning Chinese/Reader by DeFrancis) that work great when I have 15+ minute blocks of time. But what do you study when you only have five minutes? This would be in addition to an SRS tool. I use Anki and complete my cards daily. 

Is there a good book? An app on the phone? A game that requires only a few minutes? Any suggestions? 

5 minutes sounds perfect to listen to some kind of small Chinese dialogue from a podcast or a textbook. If you're not living in a Chinese speaking country listening is definitely something you will neglect without serious conscious effort to do more of it.

• Like 1

You could try Hello Chinese - have a look here http://www.hellochinese.cc/

Here is the topic on the forums http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/49944-hellochinese-%E2%80%93-new-chinese-mandarin-learning-app-learn-chinese-speak-chinese/

It says 10 minutes a day to improve your chinese, so it might be the sort of thing you are looking for.

I use it and like it a lot.

Thank you so much for the suggestions! Right now I am doing The Chairman's Bao and an app I found called MandarinReading. It solely tests reading of hanzi. The app isn't perfect and I'm not sure how long I will use it but it's great for a couple minutes while I'm waiting for my daughter to get out of school. 

I know you said in addition to an SRS tool, but for me SRS on my phone is the perfect way to study 5 minutes at a time. If you're currently during SRS in 15 minute chunks or more, maybe you can switch to doing it during your spare 5 minute chunks of time, and reserve the larger blocks of time for other kinds of studying.

I don't know about The Chariman's Bao. Maybe it's just me but it usually takes me longer than 5 minutes to read an article. Especially if I'm trying to pick up new vocab and not just skip over it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, 

I get the chance to practice daily with Chinese friends of mine. However when I commute I like to use Memrise, this app recounts the origin of character in a quite funny way. 

Other than that : read Chinese characters wherever you are and try to understand them on the fly depending on the context : Don't smoke signs and so on. 

Listen actively to what you hear on the subway and link it to Chinese characters.