Chinese-Forums

Hanzis and SEO

DonCachopo

Hi everyone.

I've some projects in mind, and some doubts related with online positioning. Speaking about Google:

As long as I know, it's not possible to use hanzi characters in the web address.

- If I had the pinyin in my url, would my web earn presence on the searches?

Example: my web is mianbao.com . When anyone searches for 面包, will my site win points to escalate positions in the results list?

- should I deal with the word 面包 as I would do with any Roman-alphabet keyword? Is Google engine able to distinguish hanzi and its layout and frequency in a page?

Besides Google, is there any big difference with SEO in baidu? Is there any good guide?

Thanks, and sorry for my bad English

Enviado desde mi SM-N9005 mediante Tapatalk

I believe it's now possible to use any Unicode code point (including Hanzi) in a url, but it's very uncommon and probably not a great idea. At the least you'd want to have the pinyin equivalent point to your site as well.

As far as SEO goes, I don't think urls are given much weight. When you search "bread", is the first result "bread.com"?

Besides Google, is there any big difference with SEO in baidu? Is there any good guide?

Yes, there's a huge difference. Search for the same string (even if it's comprised of Hanzi) in both Baidu and Google and you'll see what I mean.

It's sort of possible, but actually the url does not contain Hanzi.  Instead you create a regular ascii-based domain name using punycode, and then browsers will convert chinese characters to punycode and then load that domain.  E.g. the actual domain name for the site above is: http://xn--i6q76ommckzzzfez63ccihj7o.com/

Search for the same string (even if it's comprised of Hanzi) in both Baidu and Google and you'll see what I mean.

Baidu has (or at least had) paid search rankings.