Chinese-Forums

http://www.teachenglish.co.uk/tefl-courses/certificate-level-courses/ofqual-accredited-certificate-in-tefl.html

poolmaniac747

Hi folks

I am looking to do this TEFL course which is accredited by OfQual.  Can anyone advise if they have done this course? Or if you can advise if its a good course to do?

I'm looking to move to Xiamen in August and would like to teach English there.

Many thanks 

Please don't make the topic title a web address.

I notice you already have two topics (that I've replied to) related to the topic of TEFL courses. Could you not have continued to post in there?

Firstly, This isn't actually accredited by OFQUAL. It's accredited by "TQUK" (a bit less well know eh?) which they say is then "regulated by" OFQUAL. It says this on their homepage. The fact that they then say "regulated by OFQUAL" in the title of their TEFL courses is deliberating misleading. TQUK are currently offering to accredit some courses "for free" for a "limited time" only!

As per your other threads, online courses are essentially all the same in terms of the jobs they can get you. They can never compare to a CELTA or an accredited Trinity course. There may be some different in quality of online courses but I'm sure it's not much.

You mention wanting to teach in Xiamen. Have you looked at jobs available there? Are there enough roles that just accept "TEFL" courses rather than a CELTA etc? If not, maybe think again about just doing an online one. You could also email them first and say you're working on getting a cert.

Some large chains offer pre-start courses anyway (e.g Aston English)

Lastly, this August? The process of getting the right visa can take 2-3 months so you're cutting it pretty close for an August start. Schools usually recruit at least 6 months prior to the start date.

Guys this is really helpful thanks very much.  

My plan is to get to China in August and then find a position as soon as possible.  I suppose with the school term starting in September this might be quite difficult for me?