Chinese-Forums

Short term (one semester) spoken Chinese program / Tutor for 普通话

dementior

Hi there,

I am currently in Beijing looking for a full-time job, but if it does not work out, I would prefer to stay rather than go back home.

So I am exploring other options right now. I know there are 普通话培训 schools in town since I met a lady who was attending an intensive course last semester, but it seems they only cater Chinese.

My ideal program would be a school that focuses on spoken Chinese (tones, flow, diction...) without having to pay an exorbitant price for tuition. I also need a school that helps obtain a Visa.

I went to both the 北京电影学院 and BLCU and none of them offer anything similar. Does anybody know about a program like this that does not cost more than 15000 yuan per semester?

I have the impression there is really not such a thing... If this is the case, can you recommend a really good tutor in Beijing to work on my spoken Chinese?

thanks in advance for any hint provided!

传媒大学 offers very cheap courses I believe - but like pretty much all universities they will be following a very standard university curriculum .

Keep in mind though that if you want to become fluent in spoken Mandarin, learning how to read is an important part of this.

If you are still struggling with tones, then you might want to look into 1on1 classes though, as in a large group class a teacher will not have time to go through these with you individually. A really good tutor might be out of your price range, but I would have a look in the Beijinger, as a lot of part time tutors advertise there, often at very reasonable rates.

• Like 1

thanks!! I am checking their website but there are plenty of dead links... I will give them a call to see what they offer.

I have already taken HSK6 and a lot of my tuition before was 1-to-1, so my pronunciation and diction in general was better than most of my classmates this past semester, but still, I know there is a gap between where I am now and full fluency. I was hoping to find an affordable program that focuses on spoken Chinese instead of doing what every single university does... 听力,会话,阅读

But I really think there is no such a thing. Just curious, the price range you mention for a really good tutor would be how much per hour?

• 2 months later...