Chinese-Forums

Seeking Information On Schools

Mallard79

• New Members

I am trying to come teach English in China. I have attempted to find information on a particular school but have had no success. Does anyone know about this school? 

Sesame Street English
Beicheng St
Nankai Qu, Tianjin Shi
China

+86 22 2777 7277

​It would be great if i could get any information I am in the United states and they are offering me a position I just looking for some info before i jump in. 

Your best bet would be to ask the school to provide some previous teachers contact details along with teachers who currently work there. Make sure it's not a manager at the school. You can ask them anything you want to know and be a bit more confident it's not management speak.

This is a standard request and they shouldn't have any issues with it. If they do, that in itself says something.

• New Members

Thank you so much. I am doing the video interview tonight and have so many questions but i will ask to have contact with the other teachers and past teachers that have worked at the school. Thank you very much. I am a bit nervous because this will be my first job overseas. 

• 2 months later...

You'll be fine. There are so many English training companies in China, especially in Beijing. My nephew now is taking English lessons from a very small institution, and it's expensive. As a Chinese English teacher, I feel it's unfair though I don't have native English accent. 

I feel it's unfair though I don't have native English accent

Even if you do have the accent, it's still the same.  You have to *look* foreign first.   Having a good knowledge of the language, fluency, accent, etc. are secondary to that.

On the other hand, I also knew a person of Asian descent getting a posting in China even though he didn't know a thing about China or the language.

A few years ago I saw an ad from a famous university in Hong Kong looking for a French instructor, and the fine prints said, "Native English speaker preferred."

• 1 month later...
  • New Members

Does anyone in here have any experience with "i2 International Institute of Education" ?

They offered me a job and I'm now trying to get some more information about them. Unfortunately there isn't too much around, mostly their own commercial pages. They made a good impression on me, very caring and offering me a package slightly over average. The only thing what is kind of suspicious is that they seem to be constantly seeking and hiring new teachers. They claimed to be one of the fastest growing educational organisations in China, which could surely be an explaination, but I would highly appreciate reading some other's review on that.

• Like 1

• New Members

Hi Lylia123

Thank you for your kindness !

Here you find their website: in Mandarin.

And here a typical advert: http://www.gochengdoo.com/en/classifieds/item/46064/teaching_english_with_high_salary_and_comfortable_environment_up_to15000_rmb_month   from i2.

Thanking you very much for your help. I'm just about to sign a 1-year contract with them and want to make sure my first working experience in China isn't gonna be a flop. Generally speaking I'm rather looking for a long lasting relationship than the instant cash. As my main goal is to learn Mandarin and settle in my new environment properly not only for a better didactic progress.