Chinese-Forums

Chinese Calligraphy?

AaronChina

Hofmann for writing definitely but if you are talking about actual calligraphy, I suggest you have a look for books on the subject. There are so many I couldn't tell you which one.

You don't say where you are, but if you are in China try and find a class or private tutor, it much easier than learning from a book. Even if you are not in China there are quite often classes at local Universities, schools etc.

I think it would be best if your ability to write characters was quite advanced as a good basis for calligraphy.

Hi, 

Yes I am in China. I have finished a degree in Chinese (I had a demanding teacher who asked us to really practice Chinese, so my writing is ok-ish. 

Thanks a lot for the answers!

I'll take a look and see how I do with that

So you  know the difference between 书法 and 写字,and you can understand and read Chinese.  Just search on YouTube and you'll find lots of videos on 书法。  Your next problem is which style to start with and whom to follow.

I assume you want to learn 毛笔书法,instead of 硬笔书法。

This is a link with a complete series of free videos that goes into a bit of theory as well, although you may not agree with the style or technique:

http://www.chinese-artists.net/huangjian/

田英章 and 田蕴章 also have a series of free videos on YouTube, though their 欧体 is not considered authentic.

The traditional, and still the best, way, I heard, is to practice for hours a day mimicking the works of great calligraphers of the style you want  to learn (临帖 and 摹帖)。

• Like 1