Chinese-Forums

From Mainland to Taiwan

Tiri

Hi guys!

This year I'm going to China with a group of friends for a year to study. During our stay, we'd like to visit Taiwan. I've read that EU citizens can stay in Taiwan for 90 days without visa, so there's no problem there.

Our problem is: as student visa holders, can there be any issues with our trip from Mainland to Taiwan? I'll be thankful for any information about your experiences with traveling to Taiwan :)

Hey, I don't have any experience with this myself, but I know that my visa only allows for one reentry into China. I just have a 3 month visa, so if yours is longer it might be different. I have friends that studied with me in China and went to Hong Kong (international for visa purposes) without any problems.

• Like 1

My China visa (a tourist visa; not a student visa) allows multiple entries. I flew from Kunming to Taipei and back last year without any problems.

Our problem is: as student visa holders, can there be any issues with our trip from Mainland to Taiwan? I'll be thankful for any information about your experiences with traveling to Taiwan

What is the basis of your concern? Could it be that you have read some internet articles on the subject that are not current?

• Like 1

I think OP's concern is that their group of friends will be studying in China on student visas, and once they enter China, they will have used up each of their student visas' single entry, thus unable to enter China a second time on the same visas.

OP you said you are going to be studying in China for a year, right? That means you should be on X1 visas. The X1 visa itself is only single entry and 30 day stay, but after you arrive in China you will be getting your X1 visas converted to residence permits at your local Exit and Entry Administration office of the Public Security Bureau. 

A residence permit is a sticker in your passport much like the visa and you can re-enter the mainland on the residence permits as many times as you like during their validity. This is what you will be showing to customs when you return to the mainland after your visit to Taiwan. You should have no problem.

Best of luck to you all!

• Like 2

Thank you very much!

My main concern was that, with the political issues between Mainland and Taiwan, I have no idea what could happen. But since you say there should be no problem, I'll stick to that ;) Thank you again!

Oh. I'm sure the political issues between Mainland China and Taiwan don't cause any problems with travel. It's not like trying to enter Iran when you have an Israeli visa stamped in your passport. Foreigners, Republic of China (Taiwan) nationals and People's Republic of China nationals travel between Mainland China and Taiwan all the time.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I have an additional question, might be stupid, sorry.

As I understand it, flights from China to Taiwan should be listed as international (not domestic), but I haven't found any official confirmation, and the descriptions on airline's and airport's sites are unclear. Does it mean that I should hand in my departure card when flying to Taiwan and fill in arrival card again when I come back to China? I'm on multiple entry Chinese visa.