Chinese-Forums

Excel Chinese Word --> Chinese pinyin

chinesemadrush

Hi all,

Just wondering whether there is a program that can convert tonnes of chinese characters that I key into excel into pinyin in excel?

Based on what I have read on similar questions asked in these forums, there are currently two options:

1) HanConv

2) Using the Chinese Tools site --> http://www.chinese-tools.com/tools/annotation.html

However, these methods involve a fair bit of copying / pasting. Are there any other simple methods of going about this? Noted that those threads were pretty dated.

Thank you!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In Google spreadsheet, there is an addon which will do this function. I am travelling without a computer so cannot check 100% but basically add the hanyu pinyin add on to your list of tools.

Then, for a column of characters (or sentences), you can take the cell contents and then have them converted to pinyin (with tone marks or tones represented as numbers) in the adjacent column.

Copy and paste back into your original excel spreadsheet as required.

PinyinJoe seems to have a macro for it, made specifically for excel (I've never used it before - just found it)

Or, you could download pinyinput - it's an input method that lets you type pinyin with tone marks just like you type everything else... This should work not only for excel, but also for anything else where you can type.

Note that any automated process will likely contain a fair amount of errors.

I'm not sure what you intend to do with the result, but be careful not to blindly use the results without doing further checking and verification.

• 1 month later...

Hi Flickserve thanks for the reply. Mind letting us know what the add on is once you get back to your computer?

=HANYUPINYIN_TONEMARKS(A3)

A3 is the cell which has your Chinese characters.

Like Imron wrote, there can be errors. Mostly correct though.