Chinese-Forums

A Short List of Resources for Studying Chinese

艾墨本

@Luxi Is there any option to disable the "shadow" of the character when learning strokes? I liked how Inkstone left it blank and moved your strokes into the right place to suggest better placement. Skritter does something similar but... that price tag.

3 minutes ago, 艾墨本 said:

any option to disable the "shadow"

The shadow disappears after the first 1 or 2 'reviews' of the character. Sometimes tends to disappear too early for my taste, but there are ways to 'unlearn' characters to keep on practising them.

@艾墨本,may I assume from your post that you can access TL in China? Website or app?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Luxi said:

The shadow disappears after the first 1 or 2 'reviews' of the character. Sometimes tends to disappear too early for my taste, but there are ways to 'unlearn' characters to keep on practising them.

That's great!

1 minute ago, Luxi said:

@艾墨本,may I assume from your post that you can access TL in China? Website or app?

Yes. I can access it on an iPhone in China. No VPN.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 艾墨本 said:

On another note, has anyone used inkstone recently? I'm in China and have just discovered it is not available in this region.

It's a strange destiny: an inexpensive but vey valuable project like Inkstone cannot have a market! 
No one is interested in developing the original project, no one tryied to buy it and sell it.

But it's a very genial tool.

Skishore aka K. Shaunak https://www.skishore.me/ abandonet it without trying the crowfunding...

https://github.com/skishore/inkstone/blob/master/README.md

On 7/30/2017 at 2:37 AM, mlescano said:

I propose complementing this topic with a poll that allows multiple selection. With names of voters shown. And every time a new resource is recommended by at least 3 people, add it to the poll.

It would really be interesting to do a poll that allows multiple answer selection for this topic. @roddy &  @imron is this possible?

• 5 months later...

wow and ummmm
I have not used 50% of these resources...but i will try all and see what takes me from hsk 4 to hsk 5-6

These resources took me to hsk 3 in a year.
-chineseskill
-hanping
-debo chinese
......pdfs of all hsk words......

+
-trainchinese.com
-Pin1yin1.com

music, tv, shows, news sites took me to hsk 4-5 ish.

I did not like these for various reasons:
Hello Chinese
skritter
anki
memrise
duolingo

I will check these out tgis week and give updates:
arch Chinese
jukuu
zdic
Talki
MDBG
Perapera
Pimsluer audio
NPCR
Ink Stone
Lingq.com
https://cn.bing.com/dict/?mkt=zh-cn
https://context.reverso.net/translation/
Tofu Learn
Ninchanese
Pimsleur
EdX Beginner Chinese
Coursera Beginner Chinese
EdX Intermediate Chinese 
EdX Business Chinese  
New Practical Chinese Reader  
Google Chrome: Zhongwen
Mozilla Firefox: Perapera Chinese 
YellowBridge
Jukuu  
Wenlin 
Pleco
Built-in-dictionary - (MacOS) 
Chinese Grammar Wiki
Hacking Chinese
Tone Trainer  
SpeakGoodChinese

What helped you to hsk 6?

• Helpful 2

• 9 months later...

Hi @艾墨本 , would you be able to add the Laowai's Unofficial Chengyu Guide to the list of resources? It's a free online database that I launched a few months ago whose entries include not only the translation of the story behind Chinese idioms (if applicable), but also usage examples, English-language equivalents, origin details, and more.

I created the website because I knew that English-language chengyu resources were lacking. I certainly had a love-hate relationship with chengyu when I was a student, but once I figured out that chengyu came from stories, historical events, or pieces of literature, everything suddenly started making sense, and I wanted to share that with others.

You can see my original Chinese Forums post announcing the launch of the website here.

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/11/2016 at 11:35 PM, 艾墨本 said:

SpeakGoodChinese (program for training tone pronunciation, see discussion [free?]

This is a really helpful thread. Thank you for it. Is SpeakGoodChinese currently worthy of being on your list? Is there a better alternative these days?

• 10 months later...

I'd like to recommend this podcast channel, targeted at learners at HSK 4-5 level. 

https://www.youtube.com/@ChinesePodcastWithShenglan

The podcasts are weekly and discuss about several topics - more or less current - with focus on explaining the "Chinese point of view" on the matter.  

The language is simple and the speech very slow (maybe a tad too slow, I usually prefer to increase the speed a bit), which makes it really suitable if you are looking to get a lot of listening input in at a comfortable comprehension level. 

What makes the podcast stand out in my opinion is that in spite of the simple language, the discussions are interesting and not overly dumbed-down. 

The author of the podcast, Xiao Shenglan 肖胜兰 , is also a teacher on Italky. I've had a few lessons with her and so far I'm very positively impressed.

She is very prepared and uses the podcase as a base for conversation, which has the double advantage of forcing you to spend time listening before the lesson, and making sure you always have something interesting to talk about.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 5 months later...