Chinese-Forums

Cost of living in Ganzhou

hebat28

• New Members

I am considering a teaching job in Ganzhou. Trying to come in contact with someone who is familiar with this city. Not to be confused with Guangzhou.
Salary would be around 15,000 RMB before tax. Apartment will be provided. Does anyone know how much money can be saved living a normal life (not hanging out in bars every evening). Of course it depends on the person's interests and way of life. Just the necessary living expenses.
Appreciate your help.

I don't know about the cost of living in those places, but can guarantee it's lower than Beijing, Shanghai, etc., and foreigners can live comfortably on 15k pre-tax in Beijing or Shanghai (assuming no dependents, no crippling debts to pay off, no expensive illness, etc.)

I'd be surprised if you couldn't save a decent amount on 15k in Ganzhou or Ji'an.

Ji'an isn't part of Ganzhou.

Chinese political geography can be confusing, because a vast area is often included within the boundaries of a city. You need to find precisely on a map where your school is and where your housing will be, otherwise you risk being in the middle of nowhere.

As to Ji'an, I did spend a day there once, and have no plans to return.

• New Members

Thanks for the info guys.

The job offers 17k actually. Since it's not easy to find info about Ji'an I assume it's not that of a big place. But that also has its advantages.
I guess I just have to go and explore the area.

I'm happy to share my experiences if anyone is interested.

• 2 years later...
  • New Members

Hello, I notice your post is a couple of years old, but it seems to be the only one that has something to do with living in Ganzhou. Did you end up living there? How is/your experience? I might move there in March. I have lived in Shanghai and Guangzhou, but I am pretty sure that will be a different experience.

• New Members

Wow, indeed a while ago. I am located in Ji'an which is 2 hours from Gangzhou. Have visted Gangzhou a few times and it is quite similar to Ji'an.
Both cities are of course different than the bigger cities (no subway system, fewer people who speak English or are willing to use the English they know).
I'm still resided here but that is not because I love it here that much. Frankly I could write a long story about my experience here. Even though people could describe it as negative, I tend to see the humor in it. I guess I took the good with the bad and decided to stay here a bit longer. So whatever it is you'd like to know, you just have to be more specific. But since you've lived in China, you are already aware of the Chinese culture or customs.

3 hours ago, hebat28 said:

I'm still resided here but that is not because I love it here that much. Frankly I could write a long story about my experience here. Even though people could describe it as negative, I tend to see the humor in it. I  guess I took the good with the bad and decided to stay here a bit longer. 

Please do, it's interesting to read about others foreigners experience in China especially outside the big cities . Don't  worry about the negative review. If it was 100% positive I would say it's not worth reading. Some things one cannot put a filter over like pollution,  reckless driving etc. Others is a matter of opinion (lively or noisy). However as you say,  you weight up the good and bad and take it from there