Chinese-Forums

HSK: In writing section, looking at reading section to check how to write characters

安笛 {Andy}

Hi all,

I do realise my question has been discussed before here http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/37305-hsk-test-procedure-switching-possible-between-reading-writing-parts/ and here http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/35556-can-you-write-on-the-hsk-exam-paper/

but those discussions are a little outdated, and test procedures may have changed.  My question is, when taking the HAND WRITTEN HSK test, (I'm thinking level 5 or 4), is it possible to check how to write characters by looking back at the reading section?  (I wanted to take the computer test, but in my city, all three test centres only offer the hand written version of the test.)

Knowing the answer to this question will help me decide whether to apply for the HSK 4 test or the HSK 5 test.  Registration is due tomorrow!

Thanks!

Andy

is it possible to check how to write characters by looking back at the reading section

Remember when you cheat, you are only cheating yourself in the long run.

If you don't know them well enough to remember without prompting, then you don't know them.

Take the level you are confident and well versed in. Work hard and take the next level when you are ready.

I hope the exam you do end up taking goes well.

Thanks very much both of you for your replies.  

I'm not trying to cheat--I was wondering if it was permitted. :)

I'm just so used to typing, that even in English I feel uncomfortable writing. It's soooooo slow!

I don't think it's forbidden, the only thing is that you can't use the time for the writing section to finish the reading part, and if you browse the reading part while doing the writing, they might think that's what you're doing. But the examiners aren't too strict with this norm. In my experience, the time for the reading is too short, and the one for the writing too long, so you should have enough time to look back at the reading section. However, what if the character you need to write doesn't appear on the reading section?

Thanks for your reply.  The weird thing for me is that, because I've used EZChinese [not finished yet] to learn characters, even though I can write about 1500 characters, I don't know really simple ones if they haven't appeared on the list.  It hasn't bothered me in the past because I always type Chinese....

Anyway, thanks for everyone's ideas. I've opted for HSK 4 which should be pretty easy for me to pass, even if I don't do well on the writing section.