Chinese-Forums

Quick questiong about Wechat/Weixin

hoshinoumi

Hi guys! I have a quick question for you

In a couple of weeks I'll be travelling to China. Since I will be leaving my phone (and phone number) back, I wonder how can I use my Wechat account (which was linked to my phone number) when I get a new phone and phone number in China? Just introducing the username and password will make it? Do I need to unsign in the previous phone?

Thank you :)

PD: sorry about the title typo

Yes, you can install Wechat on a different phone and sign in there with your username and password. It then automatically logs out on your original phone. You can't have Wechat open on two phones at the same time, but you can move it between phones no problem. Source: I did this recently. Mind that you lose all your chat logs when you move to another phone.

Keep contacts.

If you think you might like to use wechat wallet (highly recommended as its so useful) then I'd suggest linking your wechat account to your new phone number in China once you get it. This way you will be able to use Wechat Pay. They need your Chinese phone number and Chinese card info to do it.

Wechat might ask you to verify the change to your old number though. I'm not sure but I think there is an option to say you don't have access to that number anymore.

Actually you can also transfer your chat history, but the process is quiet cumbersome and super counter intuitive.

It works but backing up your account and then restoring it.

But you have to do it on wifi, with your phone fully charged, and under a full moon.

Also, it takes a looking time to complete

If you have any group chats, make sure you save them before logging in from a new device. Unlike contacts, group chats are not automatically kept. 

(chat info>save to contacts)

Wechat might ask you to verify the change to your old number though. I'm not sure but I think there is an option to say you don't have access to that number anymore.

Isn't this the critical point for the OP, who'll likely lose access to the old number before he/she can switch to the new one?