Chinese-Forums

Reference letters

Steppenwolf_27

• New Members

I've been offered a teaching job in China and a requirement for the visa is reference letters from my past employers because the Chinese government requires at least 2 years' experience of teaching abroad.

I have several years' experience, but the manager at the school I worked for is not responding to my e-mails.

What do I do?

I'd just make one up...

I'm not being facetious either. The Chinese bureaucracy is not like a Western one. You can't even get a university to verify that they've given you a degree. It's just a blackhole. And that will certainly be the case with your reference letters.

• 4 weeks later...

My experience with the university I currently work for is that the recruiter out of Hong Kong, actually called and verified my references. I received an email from one stating that a woman from Hong Kong had called to verify my employment dates, my salary and my job responsibilities and also asked what kind of person I was. The other was for an NGO in the states and they also emailed me asking if it was OK to release my information, it was! So, while many employers make not verify, you might be the exception to the rule, as I was!