Chinese-Forums

[deleted]

On 12/02/2017 at 4:14 PM, Napkat said:

I didn't realise living in a capital city could feel so lonely

I honestly think sometimes big cities can be the most lonely places, especially as there are so many people around you all the time but you feel so apart from everyone!

If you ever fancy a beer or something sometime, would be nice to see a fellow Brit!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Napkat said:

Last week I purchased my first Android phone (a Xiaomi 5c) as an upgrade from my four year old iPhone, and as such have access to the Google Play store.

I'm curious about this. I cannot access Google Play store on my Xiaomi 5 phone even when using a VPN. Did you employ some sort of special approach? If so, do you think you could walk me through it? (We are both on the China Mainland it seems.)

11 hours ago, Napkat said:

A new friend! I bumped into someone in the lift who lives on the floor below me. They're new to Beijing and don't know many foreigners, so we've started hanging out. Their English isn't great, so it's brilliant for practice

Great!

On 22 February 2017 at 7:40 PM, Napkat said:

I've since been inundated with friend requests on WeChat from people living in the same apartment block as me (literally two floors up) who have agreed to meet twice a week.

How did this turn out?

Thankfully, the solution's pretty simple.

Thanks, @Napkat. I'll try that.

--------------------------------------------------

Edit: Good set of instructions. They worked up to a point.

I was able to install Google Play Services via 去豌豆荚搜索。 I also found and installed 谷歌安装器 and Google Play Store itself. The icon shows up and appears to be active (clickable.)

Rebooted and tried to open the play store (using my VPN) but got a blue and white, full-screen message (which appeared to be from Google) that said "Checking info..." which went on and on for several minutes until I finally killed it. Never did get asked for a password and never did get access to the contents of the play store.

Any thoughts? (I realize you may well be busy with other things. No worries. I will be patient; this is not a "Google emergency.")

IMG_9626.thumb.JPG.9704a247d58018e56378e7947255b5f2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...