Chinese-Forums

Getting tired of Skritter, anything better out there?

daxia33

I have been paying for skritter for probably 5 years now and I have been using it less and less. The website version is ok but the android app....really is not that good.

Hardly anything has been added to it the last 2 years or something. No example sentences for words, no example words for characters, the writing recognition is VERY BAD especially when using raw squigs (sometimes u can just randomly draw lines anywhere on the screen that does not look anything like the character and the app still will accept it). 

These things would have been acceptable 1-3 months after the app was released but its been YEARS now, and skritter is not exactly cheap either! Right now, its not much better than pleco in any ways and pleco DOES NOT cost 15$ a month. 

Writing apps is probably not easy but its not rocket science either and if they cant work faster than this then they might consider giving up the app altogether and work on making a mobile friendly version of the website study tool instead!

Is there anything better out there? I am pretty advanced in my studies (4 years studying Chinese in a university in China and probably know about 2000 something characters). 

I do know skritter is planning a major overhaul of all three versions (web, iOS, and Android). Hopefully that will fix a lot of those issues. I'm frustrated with the Android version as well, I find it almost unusable. Just did an hour long Skype interview with them to discuss what needs to be changed in the new version, and it seems they also interviewed a bunch of other users as well, so they seem serious about finding out exactly what's wrong and fixing it.