Chinese-Forums

any good TV series recently?

realmayo

21 minutes ago, amytheorangutan said:

Then I will move on to Imperial Coroner... Heard lots of good things about it.... 

Imperial Coroner has a good reputation, but I haven't watched it. Recently I just want to watch light-hearted romantic dramas, and I will continue to watch My Fated Boy(我的邻居长不大)

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 3:29 PM, EnergyReaper said:

Recently I just want to watch light-hearted romantic dramas

I can recommend Forever Love 百年之好,一言為定 and Perfect and Casual 完美先生和差不多小姐 even though I think the 小姐 is too 完美 for the 先生 ? but I’m biased. 

• Like 1

If you don't mind it's an oldie, I'd recommend 天地男兒.

https://so.youku.com/search_video/q_天地男兒?searchfrom=1

A few other TV dramas I recommend:

創世紀 (a.k.a. 地產風雲)

新上海灘(陳錦鴻、鄭少秋、林家棟、陳松伶、鄭裕玲、潘志文主演)

流金歲月(羅嘉良主演)

天龍八部(黃日華、陳浩民、樊少皇主演)

碧血劍(佘詩曼、林家棟主演)

笑傲江湖(呂頌賢主演)

洛神(佘詩曼、馬浚偉、陳豪主演)

帝女花(佘詩曼、馬浚偉主演)

The first four, i.e. 天地男兒、創世紀、新上海灘、流金歲月, are also good materials for learning Mandarin. 

• Like 2

For those who like suspense/detective dramas and need English subtitles, Day and Night 白夜追凶 on Netflix and The Longest Day in Chang’an 长安十二时辰 on Amazon are really good.

(Spoiler alert!)

https://www.flyingsesame.com/real-stories-behind-the-longest-day-in-changan/

https://www.flyingsesame.com/decode-netflix-chinese-drama-day-and-night/

And for period dramas, nothing can beat epic nirvana in fire 琅琊榜 (I believe you can find the version with English subtitles on YouTube). The same group of actor and actress later also did The Disguiser 伪装者 which is great too. 

• Like 2

Totally loved You are my Glory! It's a no fuss no mess romance if that's your thing. But I can't hear Yang Yang's word a lot of the time, he speaks fast and all blended. Defintely an A for the visuals and production quality.

I've also just finished The Ordinary Glory, You are my Hero and Ping Pong Life (because I discovered Bai Jing Ting :)) All very good :)

I'm waiting for Love Oath coming out on the 8th of September. On my to watch list are Dear Parents and The Bond as well... plus a long list of others.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FlyingSesame said:

For those who like suspense/detective dramas and need English subtitles, Day and Night 白夜追凶 on Netflix and The Longest Day in Chang’an 长安十二时辰 on Amazon are really good.

(Spoiler alert!)

https://www.flyingsesame.com/real-stories-behind-the-longest-day-in-changan/

https://www.flyingsesame.com/decode-netflix-chinese-drama-day-and-night/

And for period dramas, nothing can beat epic nirvana in fire 琅琊榜 (I believe you can find the version with English subtitles on YouTube). The same group of actor and actress later also did The Disguiser 伪装者 which is great too. 

I love Nirvana in Fire and I watched Longest Day in Chang'An almost to the end. I find Longest Day in Chang'An story is way too slow, such a shame because the production quality is top notch. My husband managed to made it to the end but I abandoned ship around 5-6 episodes towards the end, so never knew the ending. There is actually a new trailer for a drama adapted from a novel by the same author called Luoyang. From the trailer, it looks like a high production quality and I really can't wait to see it. Hopefully, the plot is tighter than Chang'An. 

• Like 2

Hi all,

I very much enjoy what I would call Chinese "urban dramas" (maybe this genre is called something else). So far, I recall watching the following:

老爸当家

欢乐颂 (1 & 2)

都挺好

蜗居

我的前半生

And perhaps some others I may have forgotten about. I recently finished watching 安家 and I have to say that was my favorite one so far. If anyone wants to recommend something based on what I've watched so far, I'd appreciate it.

Best regards,

Qarl

Cannot really tell, if it is any good since I only just finished episode 1, but 大时代 aka Great Age, appears to be my taste: 

It is set in the 70s in China and deals with the opening of China and a group of friends starting their first company according to how they believe it is done in the US.

https://mydramalist.com/39731-great-age

Plenty of dialogue and you can find it on Youtube with soft-subs.

On 9/29/2020 at 4:50 PM, StChris said:

There is another short series (12 episodes) that is currently earning plaudits in China,《 沉默的真相》. It's a crime thriller and it currently has a 9.1 rating on 豆瓣. You can watch a quick review of the series here (I only watched the first couple of minutes as I want to avoid any spoilers). 

I have to say, I'm enjoying the recent trend for shorter, higher quality TV dramas.

Thanks for the recommendation @StChris Just started watching up to episode 3, so far very very good. I hope it will have a satisfying ending. I'm often annoyed when they give so many clues and build up but there is no pay off at the end.

@amytheorangutan, good to hear that it lives up to expectations. I actually haven't started it myself yet, I've been busy watching a lot of Taiwanese and Thai stuff on Netflix (all not bad, but nothing I'd necessarily recommend to others). Where are you watching it? I see that they have only uploaded the first two episodes on youtube.

On 9/12/2021 at 2:20 PM, StChris said:

Where are you watching it? I see that they have only uploaded the first two episodes on youtube.

I watch it on IQiyi’s website, in the UK all the episodes are available for free but my friend in Australia told me that it’s locked over there and you’d have to sign up to their VIP subscription to watch all the episodes. 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 8:40 PM, amytheorangutan said:

I watch it on IQiyi’s website, in the UK all the episodes are available for free but my friend in Australia told me that it’s locked over there and you’d have to sign up to their VIP subscription to watch all the episodes. 

I'm in the UK, so it sounds like I'm in luck! Thanks.

• Like 1

I have finished The Long Night 沉默的真相 it is soooo good. Highly recommend it! Also there were a few points that didn't get explained in the drama but afterwards I saw this YouTube channel where she explains some of them. This YouTube video is a spoiler, wouldn't recommend if you plan to also read the book https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihte67AQsIk 

If I'm going to nitpick, towards the end where some of the authorities keep talking about their duties, integrity etc I find it a bit weird and stilted like I was in a classroom getting some moral lessons or something. It doesn't add anything to the drama other than making it weird. 

• Like 2

I just watched a censored GL drama on YouTube called Couple of Mirrors or 双镜. The plot is pretty good though don't expect anything too much, it's nothing new and sometimes a bit unbelievable, a mix of murder mystery, relationships and romance but I love the girls so much! I started to question my sexuality after watching this ?

• Like 3

I also really enjoyed watching 沉默的真相!

On 9/14/2021 at 10:19 PM, amytheorangutan said:

If I'm going to nitpick, towards the end where some of the authorities keep talking about their duties, integrity etc I find it a bit weird and stilted like I was in a classroom getting some moral lessons or something. It doesn't add anything to the drama other than making it weird. 

ahah I had exactly the same feeling, I thought it could be a last ditch attempt to save the face of the police force after spending the whole series stressing how corrupt it is!

Another series I watched recently is 全职高手, not a masterpiece by any means and the characters development leaves a lot to be desired, but a relaxing and "feel good" show that I would recommend, especially if you are into videogames.

Now I just started watching 乔家的儿女 , the story of 5 children of the 乔 family growing up in a desperately poor environment and helping each other out. The first episode seems really good and it's available on youtube. 

On another note, I'm trying to find a mandarin-dubbed version of the Detective Conan with subtitles (preferably simplified). I checked the various youku, IQIYI etc. but  only seem to find either japanese audio with chinese subtitles or chinese audio without subtitles...can anyone help here?

• Like 2