Chinese-Forums

any good TV series recently?

realmayo

@feihong

i attached the context for the joke (and for anyone else to see how approachable this show is in terms of language level).

i came across this and had no idea what it meant and looked at eng subs.

上大学以后就不会再有这种,
特别直接的
After college, no one asks each other
these things so directly.

咋俩上的一个大学,我上大学不也是这一套吗
We went to the same college,
and it was like this!

真的吗?那就所以后来你们就不行了呀
Really? That's why you're so stunted.

sharelife_epo03上.txt

• 2 months later...
On 1/4/2022 at 1:30 PM, StChris said:

This series is set in late-80s Taipei and tells the tale of a group of women working at a Japanese-style hostess bar. It begins with the murder of one of the women (it is not revealed which one), and the action then skips back to a few months before and relates the events leading up to the murder. The first series (8 episodes) isn't really a whodunnit, it, it instead focusses more on the drama between the hostesses. I just watched episode 1 of series 2 yesterday and it continues on from the day of the murder and it looks like we are going to get a murder mystery after all (there are several people each with there own motive).

Season 3 starts airing today!  Good stuff.  Definitely recommend.

• Like 3

On 3/18/2022 at 10:51 AM, imron said:

Season 3 starts airing today!  Good stuff.  Definitely recommend.

Thanks for letting me know. I didn't expect such a quick turn around (I thought season 3 wasn't coming until 2023). I just need to finish off my current Korean Netflix series, All of Us Are Dead. I'm pretty sick of zombie stuff right now, but this is very well done, so I can still recommend it.

BTW, can any Korean speakers here confirm something for me. The Korean for "don't know" sounds remarkably similar to "不知道" said in a Beijing accent to me (i.e. with half the words swallowed). Is the sound really similar, or am I just imagining things?

• New Members

Recently I've binge watched the chinese drama 开端 (Reset), I recommend it very much! :)

'When Li Shi Qing awoke that fateful morning, she had no idea her life was about to change forever. Going about her day as usual, Shi Qing boarded the bus without ever giving her actions a second thought. But when the bus she was on was involved in a horrendous accident, Shi Qing had only seconds to realize that her life was about to end. Or was it? Waking up that very same morning, going through the exact same motions, boarding the same bus, and dying in the same accident, over and over again, Shi Qing soon realizes that she has become trapped in a never-ending time loop. Desperate to find a way to escape not only the loop but her tragic fate, Shi Qing inadvertently drags fellow bus passenger, Xiao He Yun, into the loop with her. Together they try to find a way to alter their fate, by ensuring the bus arrives safely at its destination but attempting to do so proves anything but easy.

~~ Adapted from the novel "Kai Duan" (开端) by Qi Dao Jun (祈祷君).

https://mydramalist.com/697563-kai-duan

• Like 2

On 3/18/2022 at 11:11 AM, Alwarja said:

Recently I've binge watched the chinese drama 开端 (Reset), I recommend it very much!

Yes, that's a good one! Several of us have enjoyed it. This thread has gotten so long that earlier comments on it are buried.

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apparently, 人世间 is pretty popular. It tracks a family in 东北 and their experiences from early 1970's to modern day China. 

I haven't a clue on what they are speaking.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2022 at 8:59 AM, Flickserve said:

Apparently, 人世间 is pretty popular. It tracks a family in 东北 and their experiences from early 1970's to modern day China. 

I haven't a clue on what they are speaking.

My wife has been watching it, she grew up in 东北. The other day I was trying to calculate some travel reimbursements for work and kept getting distracted because I could understand the conversations quite clearly. I'm going to finish the current show I'm watching this week and  have already decided 人世间 is next up.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 1:00 PM, Flickserve said:

You really know how to hurt a guy?

Haha well I just remember I kept getting sucked into listening. But I'm sure the majority were not that easy, because I did get my work done in the end. I will see when I start the program next week just how difficult or easy it is. It's also good that it will be fresh in my wife's mind, so I can ask her anything about it that I might not be able to follow. 

On 1/18/2022 at 4:45 AM, 幽默感 said:

a new drama I highly recommend airing right now called Reset (开端).

1510114434_1.thumb.jpg.1afea23cc680bc5e3b6d8b7b353f08bd.jpg526997336_2.thumb.jpg.c656287909b52efdd5b8fc45722c4df8.jpg

Brief description: "Game designer Xiao He Yun and university student Li Shi Qing are caught in a time loop after a bus explosion and must work hard to put a stop to it."

Currently watching it. It is really fantastic.

I am actually very intrigued by the setting. The city has a completely different feel compared to Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou.... Does anyone here know where this series is set? I think in the series they talk about (a fictional(?)) city called "Jialin", but elsewhere I found it was filmed in Xiamen (?!). Looks like a nice place to study/live/retire :)

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 2:13 PM, suMMit said:

I will see when I start the program next week just how difficult or easy it is

Just discovered it is 58 episodes long. Your wife should be admired for her stamina. 

@FlickserveWell, I was wrong. There is nothing easy about 人世间, its fast, sometimes quite slurred andit's got some 东北话. 

I've watched 4 episodes and I'm not sure what to do. The program I just finished, I stopped and read every subtitle. This time I'd like to take a different track and just watch it without stopping, without looking anything up. This way I can watch it on the big screen too (小米 projector on wall). But I'm wondering if this is just too hard. Sometimes I get everything, especially if I look at the subtitles, and I think it's useful. Other times I get nothing at all. I can't  totally follow the story. I might watch 2 episodes a day and just see what sinks in. 

Now my wife has been watching 心居 (?)or something like that. It sounds so much easier. But she's already a number of episodes in. I also prefer the strong northern accents in  人世间, so I'm on the fence. 

• Like 1

I finished watching 《华灯初上》on Netflix last night and can definitely recommend it. Although it has a murder mystery at its heart, the main focus of the show is really the 7/8 who work at the hostess bar and how they try and navigate life in 80s Taipei. Really good acting and production values, plus the plot never goes off in the deep end. 

I might give 《开端》 a try next, seeing how much people hear have liked it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished《華燈初上》so good! Dark and twisted. It actually somewhat reminds me of Keigo Higashino’s books where the murder mystery is not the only focal point of the story. Human relationships and life circumstances are almost more important to the story than the murder itself. 

On 4/17/2022 at 11:01 PM, amytheorangutan said:

Finally finished《華燈初上》so good! Dark and twisted. It actually somewhat reminds me of Keigo Higashino’s books where the murder mystery is not the only focal point of the story. Human relationships and life circumstances are almost more important to the story than the murder itself. 

Glad you liked it, and I hope more people give it a try too. I've never heard of Keigo Higashino before, but am now curious to give his books a try.

Another Chinese-language Netflix recommendation:

spacer.png 

While an animated adaptation of a highly addictive online game doesn't sound like it would be worth watching, this is actually pretty great! Firstly, the animation and art style are both great, and secondly the characters and story are really good too (almost like early Game of Thrones episodes, where anything can happen to anyone, and where the characters actions make perfect sense in the situations they find themselves in). I thought the Chinese voices/acting were really well done too. 

At only 6 episodes, it's the kind of series you can watch within a week. Give it a try!

• Like 1

Has anybody recommended 蜡笔小新 (Crayon Shin Chan) here? 

It's not strictly a Chinese show, but it is very very entertaining, and very popular in China so I think it's worth including. The Chinese dub is pretty funny and well done, even though earlier seasons are not brilliant quality.

On 4/19/2022 at 1:19 AM, markhavemann said:

Has anybody recommended 蜡笔小新 (Crayon Shin Chan) here?

If you are into Crayon Shin Chan try to look for Chinese dubbed Doraemon, Atashinchi, Hagemaru and Chibi Maruko-chan. They were all my childhood favourites. Not as rude as Crayon Shin Chan but I personally love them all.

• Like 1