Chinese-Forums

any good TV series recently?

realmayo

I just watched the first two episodes of 《狂飙》. It's similar to 《人民的名义》in that it deals with corruption in politics. A few of the actors even return from that series, which can get a little confusing! It's good from what I've seen so far, but I'm not into it enough to buy the channel membership.

It think I'll give 《去有风的地方》 and《三体》a try next.

• Like 1

Looking forward to reading what you think of it. Actually just like how Youtube shorts keep spamming me with Peaky Blinders, Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire etc my WeChat keeps spamming me with scenes from《狂飙》. Definitely on my list. Still on the romcom drama wagon though so I'll watch 向风而行 (Flight to You) next with 王凯 and 谭松韵. The former I really liked from 狼牙棒, the latter played the young daughter really well in 以家人之名 (despite being 30+ years old).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2023 at 12:22 AM, Woodford said:

And as someone whose first language is not Chinese, I’m reminded how terribly difficult it is to understand movie/TV dialog (even more so than other kinds of audio). I resort to subtitles at times.

I watched a bit more of the 3 body problem, and I'm getting more used to the dialog volume. 

I wonder if part of the problem is Christopher Nolan influence / naturalistic performance style, which has affected English language movies & tv shows for the last 10ish years:

https://www.slashfilm.com/673162/heres-why-movie-dialogue-has-gotten-more-difficult-to-understand-and-three-ways-to-fix-it/

Millenials and Gen-Zers now prefer to watch English media with subtitles.  Even movie theaters are "open-captioning" regular movies.

I don't watch enough Chinese language movies & tv shows to know if there's the same trend in Chinese shows.  Maybe Tencent's three body problem is filmed in a  Hollywood-y style, with 汪淼 giving a naturalistic performance. 

Curious as to whether others think watching a Chinese movie/show without subtitles is becoming a harder standard to meet over time.

• Like 2

欢乐颂(三季):I watched the first season, which was quite good, second season became rather boring. I still was looking forward to the third season, which was released with a delay of two or three years ...

Watching the first episode of the third season I realized that they had changed the entire cast!! So I was on the brink of not continuing to watch (usually I´m that person that finishes any book or tv-show once I´ve started it). For some reason I kept watching the first episode, and I´m really glad, the whole season was really entertaining. Definitely  recommend it.

Next I watched 致我们暖暖的小时光. Could have been just another college love story, well in fact it was, but I found it to be a lighthearted show and way funnier than expected.

Right now I´m watching a K-Drama dubbed in Chinese on Netflix. On Netflix there are only very few American and Korean TV shows dubbed in Chinese. Does anyone know, if there is a website, where I can stream more non-chinese movies and dramas dubbed in Chinese?

On 3/10/2023 at 4:36 AM, phills said:

I wonder if part of the problem is Christopher Nolan influence / naturalistic performance style, which has affected English language movies & tv shows for the last 10ish years:

That was a really fascinating video! As a complete outsider, it's so easy to be oblivious to all the work that goes into producing a film.

It's all part of an interesting dynamic--as a language learner, my goal is to acquire really good comprehension of the Chinese language. So often, I encounter barriers that are frustrating to overcome. And some of that, indeed, comes from the fact that I'm not a native Chinese speaker. At the same time, I have to keep in mind how difficult it can be to comprehend one's own native language. "What did that person say? What do you mean by that? How does this statement logically cohere with the previous one?" Etc. You can see examples, all day long, of people failing to understand each other properly. If my English comprehension continues to face those challenges, it's unrealistic for me to expect to (completely) overcome those same challenges in Chinese.

It reminds me of when I tried to listen to old recordings of Mao Zedong speeches. Couldn't understand a thing. Frustrating. Then I scrolled down to the comments below the video, where I saw a lot of Chinese people complaining that they, also, couldn't understand anything without the subtitles. So sometimes my failure to understand is because of my general need to improve my skills. Other times, it's not that straightforward.

• Like 1

I agree, if large numbers of native speakers find it hard to understand certain movies etc without subtitles, then we should be relaxed about using subtitles too, and rely on radio and podcasts to improve/benchmark our listening.

One feature not mentioned in that link appears to be: filmmakers have come to believe that “if you want your movie to feel ‘cinematic,’ you have to have wall-to-wall bombastic, loud sound.” Yet a soundtrack can be cranked up only so high, an explosion of the same loudness as a human voice won’t sound like an explosion at all: “you need that contrast in volume in order to give your ear a sense of scale.” ... and on a TV or computer that means dialogue has to come out quieter, in order for everything else can sound louder.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2023 at 4:11 PM, MadmaxxxMaSiDe said:

Right now I´m watching a K-Drama dubbed in Chinese on Netflix. On Netflix there are only very few American and Korean TV shows dubbed in Chinese. Does anyone know, if there is a website, where I can stream more non-chinese movies and dramas dubbed in Chinese?

The Naked Director (a Japanese show) has a good Chinese dub. I've been watching a lot of Korean stuff too, but unfortunately they rarely come with Chiense dubs.

The other day I was looking for info on Baidu about dubbed korean dramas. Someone mentioned, that there simply wouldn´t be the need for dubbing such series, as everyone prefers the original versions with subtitles.
What I did find though, were those two or three minute snippets of american tv shows dubbed in Chinese on Bilibili, so some of them must exist somewhere.

And thanks for the recommendation, will be the next on my list.

• 2 months later...

Finished 漫长的季节, which seems to be very "hot" right now. Same director as 隐秘的角落, so if you've seen that one then you sorta know what you are getting.

It's a suspense crime drama: you follow a couple of characters as they investigate the case, both in the past when it happened and in the present after a 20 year time-skip.

The crime part is pretty standard (although well done), but what elevates it is:

* Interesting setting, in a fictive Dongbei industrial town, giving of the kind of declining rust-belt town feeling you get from a lot of dongbei places.

* Great actors all-around, and tons of local dialect!

* Zero filler (my pet-peeve with Chinese shows...)

* Pretty damn dark to be honest, something you dont really see much in Chinese media I feel. Fits very well with the rust-belt setting.

I think this one might be one of the highest quality Chinese tv-shows I've seen. It is not my personal favourite, although I still really liked it, but I can't think of any other shows I would be able to recommend with any buts or asterisks, just a good quality TV-show.

Oh and it is available on youtube as well!

• Like 3

On 5/15/2023 at 4:12 PM, Jan Finster said:

Looks great. Where did you watch it (stream it from)?

I'm not sure about this site's policy for linking to copyrighted material, so I wont link the site I used.

Almost all episodes are also available on youtube though (official account), I assume the last few will also air there soon.

• Like 1

Watched 《伍六七》 aka. Scissor Seven a little while ago. It's a Chinese "anime" type thing with three seasons so far. I think it's available on Netflix.

It's a little all over the place (especially the story telling) and flips between being a pretty crazy but fun little cartoon and a slightly cringe-worthy Chinese style anime. Luckily it mostly leans mostly toward the fun cartoon side, and spends enough time being ridiculous and not taking itself too seriously to be worth watching.

• Helpful 1

• 4 weeks later...

American Born Chinese (2023), Disney 

Has Daniel Wu and ALL the stars of Everything Everywhere all at Once. Mostly it is in English but there are episodes that are half in Chinese. It has an interesting creative portrayal of The Monkey King through the life of as the title says, an American Born Chinese. Filmed in Canada. Made by Disney. I think it was quite clever and well done. The Monkey King characters speak in Chinese as well as one of the actors. The main character admitedly doesn't speak very good Mandarin. You won't learn a lot of Chinese by watching it, but it may be interesting anyways. And if that interest can propel you to learn more Chinese, then it is worth it.  

• 6 months later...

I'm on the hunt for some new things to watch, as I've come to the end of one, and nearly at the end of another. (you tube only)

This one I'm nearly at the end of https://youtu.be/JsYvCkVvcvs?feature=shared With you / 在一起 - This is great as you can just start at any 2 episodes about different people during the pandemic in Wuhan. Can't tell you how good this has been, but a lot of medical terminology. 

I finshed this one yesterday 21 eps, of a relocation poverty plan based in the 90s  called MinNing Village/ 山海情 

Any suggestions?

Preferably easier listening than these. haha

It's difficult to find things that aren't love stories. 

P.s. this is a great series for listening practice (and look inside North Korea) https://youtu.be/z17bufJrXjs?feature=shared but although I'm up to ep23 of about 100, I need some variety

@TaxiAshThe popular TV drama in China right now is ‘Blossoms’ (《繁花》). The director Wang Jiawei is famous for his understanding of beauty. The conversations are in Shanghai dialect. I don't understand the accent, but I like to listen to it.  http://v.qq.com/x/page/a0047l69jnp.html?ptag=11972

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

@TaxiAsh
Although not a TV show and most likely not on YT. 

Any film by director Yinan Diao tend to be both gritty and authentic. Also some are award winning at international film festivals. I usually have to go to some torrent sites online to download these. Notable actors and actresses.

Director Profile  
Critique

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1