Chinese-Forums

Font question: nice Chinese/Pinyin/English?

realmayo

Does anyone know a font which:

1. Displays nice Chinese characters -- nothing special, just not horrid. For instance, Arial makes certain characters thick-blocky and unpleasant to read.

2. Displays Pinyin properly -- i.e. has no problems with tone marks. Unlike, say, this: tōngzhàng

3. Displays non-characters proportionally, rather than mono-spaced: i.e. 'iiiiii"' should be shorter than "wwwwww"

Adobe Source Han Sans (https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-han-sans) is a free open-source font that should cover all your bases: attractive proportional English font, full Pinyin support, decent-looking Chinese characters (not as attractive as other modern 黑体's like 信黑体 or 旗黑 or 苹方 or 兰亭黑 but not terrible) with excellent character set coverage + support for simplified/traditional stylistic differences.

• Like 1

Microsoft YaHei works okay, thanks dwq. I can't get the tone marks to display nicely with the JhengHei  though.

Mike, thanks too, I've downloaded hmm over a gigabyte worth of files, will try to work out how to make windows install the font.

@realmayo - sorry, pointed you to the source folder instead of the release folder https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-han-sans/tree/release (which has regular old OTF files).

@889 - that's actually identical to Source Han Sans for Chinese, Google + Adobe developed it jointly. The difference is that Source Han Sans' Roman (English) character set is derived from Adobe Source Sans Pro (also the font we use for English/Pinyin in Pleco) while Noto Sans CJK's Roman character set is derived from Google's Droid fonts. So you can choose between them based on which one you like better for English :-)